Market Trader of the Year Awards: ‘My family have run this stall for generations’
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s finest will go head-to-head as the community nominates its favourite street traders.
The council is running its Market Trader of the Year awards, allowing people to nominate their most cherished stool holder before the November 10 deadline.
The winning trader will receive £150 off their stool rent, and the person who nominates them will bag £50 to spend at that stall.
Last years joint winners were Serpil Erce, who runs Sunny Olives at White Cross Street Market, and Dave Jackon, who runs a popular fruit stool in Chapel Market.
Serpil said: “We were over the moon to have won Market Trader of the Year last year for the second time.
You may also want to watch:
“I think customers voted for us as we provide healthy fresh and nutritious food to our customers with a smile.
“I encourage everyone to vote in this year’s competition!”
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 9 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
Dave added: “My family have run this stall for generations. I’ve really enjoyed feeling recognised and appreciated by the community my family have served.”
The awards are open to traders directly licensed by Islington Council at on of its five main markets – Camden Passage, Chapel Market, Exmouth Market, Whitecross Street and Archway – and a few other sites in the borough.
You can vote by either sending your nomination, the name of the market they operate in, and the reason why you think they should win to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you can pick up an entry form from some market traders and post it to Street Trading, Islington Council, 222 Upper Street, N1 1XR.
The winner will be announced in early December.