Market Trader of the Year Awards: ‘My family have run this stall for generations’
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s finest will go head-to-head as the community nominates its favourite street traders.
The council is running its Market Trader of the Year awards, allowing people to nominate their most cherished stool holder before the November 10 deadline.
The winning trader will receive £150 off their stool rent, and the person who nominates them will bag £50 to spend at that stall.
Last years joint winners were Serpil Erce, who runs Sunny Olives at White Cross Street Market, and Dave Jackon, who runs a popular fruit stool in Chapel Market.
Serpil said: “We were over the moon to have won Market Trader of the Year last year for the second time.
You may also want to watch:
“I think customers voted for us as we provide healthy fresh and nutritious food to our customers with a smile.
“I encourage everyone to vote in this year’s competition!”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 5 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 6 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
Dave added: “My family have run this stall for generations. I’ve really enjoyed feeling recognised and appreciated by the community my family have served.”
The awards are open to traders directly licensed by Islington Council at on of its five main markets – Camden Passage, Chapel Market, Exmouth Market, Whitecross Street and Archway – and a few other sites in the borough.
You can vote by either sending your nomination, the name of the market they operate in, and the reason why you think they should win to email@example.com. Or you can pick up an entry form from some market traders and post it to Street Trading, Islington Council, 222 Upper Street, N1 1XR.
The winner will be announced in early December.