Islington’s Pride: Archivists call out for memorabilia on Transvestism, Transsexuality and Transgenderism
- Credit: Archant
The queer archive at Islington Museum is collecting memories so it can compile a comprehensive history of LGBTQ+ culture in the borough – and this week the organisers are calling for material on transsexuality, transvestism and transgenderism.
The Islington’s Pride archive was launched last year and it has already gathered an impressive array of artefacts.
But now museum bosses are requesting more donations so they can continue documenting Islington’s distinguished queer history.
Marlin Khondoker, an archivist working for Islington’s Pride, said: “Our heritage project is well under way and we need your help. As part of the project we’re collecting LGBTQ+ memorabilia to record the LGBTQ+ history of Islington.
“We’re particularly interested this month in collecting any material regarding Transvestites, Transsexuals and Transgender groups, activities, experiences, etc.
You may also want to watch:
“We have a couple of zines and a few mentions of groups that existed but we are sorely lacking in this area.
“So if you’ve got anything lying around or tucked away in a box that you wouldn’t mind donating to the archive please get in touch. Whether it’s Transvestism, Transsexuality and Transgenderism related or anything about LGBTQ+ in Islington, we’ll take it all.”
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series