Islington’s Pride: Archivists call out for memorabilia on Transvestism, Transsexuality and Transgenderism
- Credit: Archant
The queer archive at Islington Museum is collecting memories so it can compile a comprehensive history of LGBTQ+ culture in the borough – and this week the organisers are calling for material on transsexuality, transvestism and transgenderism.
The Islington’s Pride archive was launched last year and it has already gathered an impressive array of artefacts.
But now museum bosses are requesting more donations so they can continue documenting Islington’s distinguished queer history.
Marlin Khondoker, an archivist working for Islington’s Pride, said: “Our heritage project is well under way and we need your help. As part of the project we’re collecting LGBTQ+ memorabilia to record the LGBTQ+ history of Islington.
“We’re particularly interested this month in collecting any material regarding Transvestites, Transsexuals and Transgender groups, activities, experiences, etc.
You may also want to watch:
“We have a couple of zines and a few mentions of groups that existed but we are sorely lacking in this area.
“So if you’ve got anything lying around or tucked away in a box that you wouldn’t mind donating to the archive please get in touch. Whether it’s Transvestism, Transsexuality and Transgenderism related or anything about LGBTQ+ in Islington, we’ll take it all.”
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 3 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 4 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 5 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 6 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 7 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 8 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 9 Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visits the Whittington Hospital
- 10 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment