Islington’s sex workers listed
Two publications that provide a list of brothels in London have identified more than 20 places in Islington where people can pay for sex.
In total, the borough has 14 girls who work from apartments, three dominatrixes and four massage parlours, according to McCoy’s Guide to the Working Ladies of London and McCoy’s guide to the Agencies, Corrective Services and Parlours of London.
Between them, they list more than 1,000 sex workers and businesses, with names including Mistress Poison Ivy and Asian Paradise.
They claim to “take the guesswork out of choosing your adult services, and give you some indication of the best ladies”.
Adult services are rated out of five, with the author adding reviews, in many cases from personal experience.
You may also want to watch:
Catherine Stephens, an activist for the International Sex Workers Union, who has worked in Islington for many years, said: “I can’t say what goes on in the writing of the books causes no harm, but I can say they are not all bad. Prostitutes working in isolation are completely legal, but many face a tough time with the Olympics coming up.
“Everyone is so worried about trafficking they think they will find a sobbing Albanian virgin under every bed, and legitimate businesses are paying the price.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 8 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 9 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 10 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
“They are even discussing a ban on advertising for sexual services for the duration of the games.
“Against that background, these books are a long way from the top of the list when it comes to exploitation. The behaviour of some others is far more dangerous.
“I am sure some people would like to burn the books – with the author on top – but if you don’t want to read them, don’t buy them.”
Cllr Barbara Sidnell, Islington Council’s executive member for community safety said: “If residents have any concerns about brothels, especially relating to underage girls or trafficking, I urge them to contact police.”