Islington’s transport chief Claudia Webbe loses out in bid to become Lewisham East’s Labour candidate
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s transport chief Claudia Webbe is going nowhere after losing out in her bid to be Labour’s candidate in the Lewisham East by-election.
Bunhill’s Cllr Webbe came third in Saturday’s vote by members of the constituency party, behind Sakina Sheikh and Janet Daby, who was selected as the candidate with 288 votes – 63 per cent.
Cllr Webbe received 35 votes, 8pc of the 458, while Ms Sheikh won 135 – 29pc.
The seat was unexpectedly vacated by Heidi Alexander earlier this month. She has taken up a role as Sadiq Khan’s deputy mayor for transport.
Congratulating Ms Daby on Twitter, Cllr Webbe said: “I’m proud to have stood on an historic all BAME Women by-election shortlist. Thanks to those who supported me. Now – let’s get on and deliver a Labour Govt.”
Cllr Webbe had said she would stand down from the cabinet should she be successful in her bid.
- 1 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 2 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 3 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 4 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 5 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 6 Deadline extended for Islington's greener futures fund
- 7 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 8 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 9 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 10 More than 18,000 Covid breach fines issued by Met during lockdowns