Islington’s transport chief Claudia Webbe loses out in bid to become Lewisham East’s Labour candidate
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s transport chief Claudia Webbe is going nowhere after losing out in her bid to be Labour’s candidate in the Lewisham East by-election.
Bunhill’s Cllr Webbe came third in Saturday’s vote by members of the constituency party, behind Sakina Sheikh and Janet Daby, who was selected as the candidate with 288 votes – 63 per cent.
Cllr Webbe received 35 votes, 8pc of the 458, while Ms Sheikh won 135 – 29pc.
The seat was unexpectedly vacated by Heidi Alexander earlier this month. She has taken up a role as Sadiq Khan’s deputy mayor for transport.
Congratulating Ms Daby on Twitter, Cllr Webbe said: “I’m proud to have stood on an historic all BAME Women by-election shortlist. Thanks to those who supported me. Now – let’s get on and deliver a Labour Govt.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Webbe had said she would stand down from the cabinet should she be successful in her bid.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition