Islington’s transport chief Claudia Webbe loses out in bid to become Lewisham East’s Labour candidate
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s transport chief Claudia Webbe is going nowhere after losing out in her bid to be Labour’s candidate in the Lewisham East by-election.
Bunhill’s Cllr Webbe came third in Saturday’s vote by members of the constituency party, behind Sakina Sheikh and Janet Daby, who was selected as the candidate with 288 votes – 63 per cent.
Cllr Webbe received 35 votes, 8pc of the 458, while Ms Sheikh won 135 – 29pc.
The seat was unexpectedly vacated by Heidi Alexander earlier this month. She has taken up a role as Sadiq Khan’s deputy mayor for transport.
Congratulating Ms Daby on Twitter, Cllr Webbe said: “I’m proud to have stood on an historic all BAME Women by-election shortlist. Thanks to those who supported me. Now – let’s get on and deliver a Labour Govt.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Webbe had said she would stand down from the cabinet should she be successful in her bid.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'