Islington’s unsigned act hand picked for Kaiser Chiefs new album
The life of an unsigned Finsbury musician could be about to change after his song was chosen by indie rockers the Kaiser Chiefs to feature on their latest album.
Robert Bowers’ tune Change This Life has been snapped up by the Leeds band – one of his favourite groups – after he entered an online competition for up-and-coming artists.
The track will appear on the Kaiser Chiefs’ new album, Emerging Icons, which is made up entirely of tracks by unsigned artists.
Robert, 32, of St John Street, said: “It was really unexpected and I was very excited about the whole thing.
“I got a call from Universal Records who said they liked the song and wanted me to come in and perform. They filmed me singing and then the footage was sent to the band who were on tour at the time.
‘‘They said if they liked it, then my song would be on the album.”
Robert had uploaded his song to the Unsigned Band Review website for a chance to win airtime on Absolute Radio.
- 1 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 2 Gunners pub back open for Premier League climax
- 3 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
- 4 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 5 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 6 Fast food chain Leon launches 80th restaurant in Angel
- 7 Missing: 29-year-old Islington woman last seen in Haringey
- 8 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 9 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 10 Boy, 13, arrested after teenager stabbed in Canonbury
Days later, Universal Records showed him a video of the band listening to the song and told him it had been selected.
He added: “I am very excited because this is great exposure for me. We are hoping for a place in the Top 20. I love the Kaiser Chiefs and it’s amazing to be on an album with a band I love.”
Emerging Icons was released on April 30 and is the first in a series of albums from Unsigned Band Review, featuring unsigned musicians working with major bands.