Islington set for another year of street party celebrations
Islington is set for another day of right royal revelry after town hall bosses vowed to “put bunting before red tape” for the Diamond Jubilee.
Six road closures have already been approved for community bashes that will celebrate 60 years of the Queen’s reign over the special four-day weekend from June 2 to June 5.
The council is once again waiving its �3,200 fee for shutting streets – just as it did for the Royal Wedding – and residents have until April 15 to submit forms.
Street party planner Stephen Ng, honorary secretary of the Islington Chinese Association, in Hatchard Road, Upper Holloway, said: “We’re putting together a carnival for all the residents. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime event and we want to do something special to mark the occasion.
“It will be cultural, creative and there will be lots of food.”
You may also want to watch:
Hatchard Road will be closed to cars on June 2. Mr Ng said line dancing, a tai chi performance and Congolese music are planned.
Roderik Gonggrijp, 37, who has teamed up with his neighbours to close Crayford Road, Holloway, on June 3, said: “I know most of my neighbours pretty well and it seemed a good chance to meet more people.”
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 4 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 5 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 6 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 7 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 8 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 9 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 10 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
And Islington could be in for a sociable summer as road closures will also be free for Olympics shindigs.
Jan Hart, Islington Council’s director of public protection, said: “We’re keeping it simple for party planners by putting bunting before red tape.
“Last April, hundreds of residents enjoyed Royal Wedding street parties with their friends and got to know their neighbours – this summer could be bigger and better.
“Our party pack contains everything you need to know to organise a memorable event in your community this summer.”
n Street or park party applications should be lodged by April 15. Call 020 7527 8009 or visit www.islington.gov.uk/diamondjubilee