Islington set for another year of street party celebrations
Islington is set for another day of right royal revelry after town hall bosses vowed to “put bunting before red tape” for the Diamond Jubilee.
Six road closures have already been approved for community bashes that will celebrate 60 years of the Queen’s reign over the special four-day weekend from June 2 to June 5.
The council is once again waiving its �3,200 fee for shutting streets – just as it did for the Royal Wedding – and residents have until April 15 to submit forms.
Street party planner Stephen Ng, honorary secretary of the Islington Chinese Association, in Hatchard Road, Upper Holloway, said: “We’re putting together a carnival for all the residents. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime event and we want to do something special to mark the occasion.
“It will be cultural, creative and there will be lots of food.”
Hatchard Road will be closed to cars on June 2. Mr Ng said line dancing, a tai chi performance and Congolese music are planned.
Roderik Gonggrijp, 37, who has teamed up with his neighbours to close Crayford Road, Holloway, on June 3, said: “I know most of my neighbours pretty well and it seemed a good chance to meet more people.”
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 3 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 4 Meating climate commitments: are butchers on their way out?
- 5 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 6 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 7 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 8 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 9 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 10 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
And Islington could be in for a sociable summer as road closures will also be free for Olympics shindigs.
Jan Hart, Islington Council’s director of public protection, said: “We’re keeping it simple for party planners by putting bunting before red tape.
“Last April, hundreds of residents enjoyed Royal Wedding street parties with their friends and got to know their neighbours – this summer could be bigger and better.
“Our party pack contains everything you need to know to organise a memorable event in your community this summer.”
n Street or park party applications should be lodged by April 15. Call 020 7527 8009 or visit www.islington.gov.uk/diamondjubilee