Islington shopping centre to relaunch with new name and day of celebrations
- Credit: Archant
Air guitaring, a conga, an angel-themed children’s choir and a man inside a balloon are all lined up to mark the relaunch of an Islington shopping centre.
The N1 Centre in Liverpool Road, Islington, will change its name to Angel Central on Tuesday – and is inviting residents to join in with a day of celebrations.
Children from Hungerford Primary School in Hungerford Road, Holloway, will kick off the occasion at midday by singing angel themed songs while wearing their hand-crafted angel wings, created as part of a school project linked to the occasion. The three best designs will also win prizes, as judged by centre manager Lynne Glover.
Teacher Catherine McLaughlin said: “It’s been a pleasure to be part of the launch of Angel Central. The children have loved creating their angel wings and can’t wait to perform at this event and be part of what is a historic occasion in Islington.”
Entertainer Bruce Airhead, whose act sees him inflate a six foot balloon around him using a voice-activated vacuum cleaner – and has appeared on The Graham Norton Show – will also wow the crowds.
Gliding Glowing Angels and fun loving DJs from Club de Fromage, based in the O2 Academy within the centre every Saturday night, will also keep the party going until 6.45pm – and the public can even submit song requests via social media.
Other activities for shoppers include an air guitar challenge, a conga and a hula-hooping session, while Angel Central branded goodies and discounts in the centres stores and restaurants will also be on offer.
- 1 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 2 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 3 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 4 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 5 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 6 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 Hospital trust increasingly reliant on international medical staff
- 9 'Extremely distressing': Council leader's shock after Highbury Fields stabbing
- 10 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
Lynne said: “The launch of Angel Central is a really exciting time for us and we can’t wait for people to come and join in with the fun.
“We feel that we now have a much stronger brand identity that reflects not only where we are located, but everything the centre has to offer. We can’t wait to officially mark the arrival of this new era in the shopping centre’s history and have a great day of fun to make our shoppers smile.”
N1 opened its doors in 2002 and was named after the postcode for Islington where the centre is located.
But recent consumer research revealed that many of its customers weren’t aware of the brand.
The new brand was devised to reflect the centre’s prime location in the heart of Angel and to complement the iconic ‘Angel Wings’ sculpture situated at the centre’s Liverpool Road entrance.
Full itinerary for the day of celebrations:
• 12pm – 12.30pm Hungerford Primary School
• 12.45pm – 1.15pm Bruce Airhead
• 1.15pm – 1.45pm Gliding Angel Performers
• 1.45pm – 3pm Club de Fromage DJ
• 3pm – 3.15pm Bruce Airhead
• 3.15pm – 3.45pm Gliding Angel Performers
• 3.45pm – 5pm Club de Fromage
• 5pm – 5.15pm Bruce Airhead
• 5.15pm – 5.45pm Gliding Angel Performers
• 5.45pm – 6.45p Club de Fromage DJ