Islington start-ups: Dame gives women everything they need for a ‘happy period’
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Islington. This week, we spotted Dame, a company with a no-nonsense approach to periods.
The UK has a period problem – and an Islington start-up has made a business out of it.
Dame, in White Lion Street, sells and delivers period product boxes: a pic ‘n’ mix selection of everything a woman or girl “needs for a happy and comfortable period”.
Priced from £3.50, subscribers can choose from the usual tampons and towels – but also treats such as vitamins, chocolate and heat pads.
Last week, founders Alec Mills and Celia Pool appeared on BBC entrepreneur show Dragon’s Den. Though their pitch was rejected, they did win £250,000 in separate investment.
You may also want to watch:
Alec said: “Too often girls are urged to be ‘discreet’ by advertisers. Dame aims to bring choice, convenience and confidence to women shopping in a market that needs shaking up.
“The Den was fun – but I think some of the investors’ cluelessness served to illustrate the awkwardness around the sanitary products that are used by over half the UK population at some point in their lives.”
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Islington shooting victim named
- 7 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 8 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington