Islington start-ups: Dame gives women everything they need for a ‘happy period’
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Islington. This week, we spotted Dame, a company with a no-nonsense approach to periods.
The UK has a period problem – and an Islington start-up has made a business out of it.
Dame, in White Lion Street, sells and delivers period product boxes: a pic ‘n’ mix selection of everything a woman or girl “needs for a happy and comfortable period”.
Priced from £3.50, subscribers can choose from the usual tampons and towels – but also treats such as vitamins, chocolate and heat pads.
Last week, founders Alec Mills and Celia Pool appeared on BBC entrepreneur show Dragon’s Den. Though their pitch was rejected, they did win £250,000 in separate investment.
You may also want to watch:
Alec said: “Too often girls are urged to be ‘discreet’ by advertisers. Dame aims to bring choice, convenience and confidence to women shopping in a market that needs shaking up.
“The Den was fun – but I think some of the investors’ cluelessness served to illustrate the awkwardness around the sanitary products that are used by over half the UK population at some point in their lives.”
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'