Islington start-ups: Eve’s Designer Outlet, Islington Green
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Islington. This week, we spotted a new designer outlet shop in an unlikely location.
The Upper Street area – with its boutiques, artisan bakeries and expensive restaurants – is probably the last place you would expect there to be a designer outlet.
But to Eve Francis, owner of Eve’s Designer Outlet in Islington Green, it makes perfect sense: “With the climate at the moment, no one has money for clothes.”
Eve opened the shop in June because she was “sick of working for other people”.
With her background in sales, she used her supplier contacts to stock last season’s designer clothes, shoes and accessories.
Though there was a scary moment three months ago – “There was a hold-up: a guy came in with a machete and hammer” – she reports business has been going well.
Eve is also happy with her shop’s location outside a bus stop: “You can’t buy that sort of advertising.”
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 3 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 6 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 7 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 8 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 9 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 10 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'