Islington start-ups: magCulture, St John Street
- Credit: Archant
In the heart of Finsbury lies one of Islington’s most unique shops. MagCulture, which opened in St John Street nine months ago, is solely dedicated to selling independent magazines.
Founder Jeremy Leslie said: “We wanted to sell a new breed of independent magazines published by a new generation of publishers. There are very few specialist magazine shops in London – if any – and we already had a magazine design strand to our business. It made sense to open.”
The shop sells 350 different magazines, which Jeremy says are “carefully chosen”.
He adds: “It’s based on gut instinct. Is it a good example of what a magazine should be? Is it well designed? Does it have a unique outlook?
“They are all on familiar subjects, like football or architecture, but presented differently to mainstream publications.”
You may also want to watch:
magCulture: 270, St John Street, EC1V 4PE. Visit magculture.com
- 1 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago