Islington start-ups: magCulture, St John Street
- Credit: Archant
In the heart of Finsbury lies one of Islington’s most unique shops. MagCulture, which opened in St John Street nine months ago, is solely dedicated to selling independent magazines.
Founder Jeremy Leslie said: “We wanted to sell a new breed of independent magazines published by a new generation of publishers. There are very few specialist magazine shops in London – if any – and we already had a magazine design strand to our business. It made sense to open.”
The shop sells 350 different magazines, which Jeremy says are “carefully chosen”.
He adds: “It’s based on gut instinct. Is it a good example of what a magazine should be? Is it well designed? Does it have a unique outlook?
“They are all on familiar subjects, like football or architecture, but presented differently to mainstream publications.”
You may also want to watch:
magCulture: 270, St John Street, EC1V 4PE. Visit magculture.com
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 5 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know