Islington start-ups: Margaret Moreland bridal shop, New North Road
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Islington. This week, we spotted a new bridal design shop that is attracting both male and female attention...
An Irish bridal designer has opened a flagship London store in New North Road.
Margaret Moreland also has shops in Dublin and Athlone, but this is the first store she has opened outside of Ireland.
And her collection is already attracting attention. She said: “I swear to you more guys have been stopping by the window than girls. When you get the guys interested you know you’re doing something right.”
Islington has the second highest number of Irish people living in England, second to Brent.
And Margaret’s brother, Paul Moreland, said the shop is filling a gap in the market: “She’s pretty well known in London. There are lots of Irish women who live in the area but are getting married in Ireland, so they want to get their fitting done here first.”
Of the opening, he added: “At the moment it’s a soft opening by appointment only. Our main launch is in January as that’s traditionally when brides shop for dresses. There are lots of people getting engaged over Christmas.”
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 3 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 6 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 7 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 8 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 9 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
- 10 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op