Islington students reduce isolation among elderly
- Credit: Archant
Islington students are helping to reduce isolation in their community with a new volunteering project for older residents.
Joining forces with the Bridgside Lodge Care Centre, in…the City University students, Rida Khan, Karishma Patel and Anjorna Nanda, have launched the Senior Citizens Venture, offering activities like gardening, baking and games.
Future projects include a summer barbecue and walks along Regents Canal.
Rida said she wanted to set up the project in memory of her loving grandparents.
She said: “When I found out that a lot of local people in Islington experience loneliness and social isolation I knew I wanted to do something to help, which is why I decided to set up this project with two of my friends.
You may also want to watch:
Through the Senior Citizens Venture we aim to interact with the elderly people living across the borough to have a positive impact on their lives.
“Both the residents and staff at Bridgeside Lodge Care Centre are really welcoming and are always appreciative of our visits.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London