Islington students reduce isolation among elderly
- Credit: Archant
Islington students are helping to reduce isolation in their community with a new volunteering project for older residents.
Joining forces with the Bridgside Lodge Care Centre, in…the City University students, Rida Khan, Karishma Patel and Anjorna Nanda, have launched the Senior Citizens Venture, offering activities like gardening, baking and games.
Future projects include a summer barbecue and walks along Regents Canal.
Rida said she wanted to set up the project in memory of her loving grandparents.
She said: “When I found out that a lot of local people in Islington experience loneliness and social isolation I knew I wanted to do something to help, which is why I decided to set up this project with two of my friends.
You may also want to watch:
Through the Senior Citizens Venture we aim to interact with the elderly people living across the borough to have a positive impact on their lives.
“Both the residents and staff at Bridgeside Lodge Care Centre are really welcoming and are always appreciative of our visits.”
- 1 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 2 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 3 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 4 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 5 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 6 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 7 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 8 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
- 9 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 10 Yerbury pupils stage High Court protest against Ocado's plans