Islington students reduce isolation among elderly
- Credit: Archant
Islington students are helping to reduce isolation in their community with a new volunteering project for older residents.
Joining forces with the Bridgside Lodge Care Centre, in…the City University students, Rida Khan, Karishma Patel and Anjorna Nanda, have launched the Senior Citizens Venture, offering activities like gardening, baking and games.
Future projects include a summer barbecue and walks along Regents Canal.
Rida said she wanted to set up the project in memory of her loving grandparents.
She said: “When I found out that a lot of local people in Islington experience loneliness and social isolation I knew I wanted to do something to help, which is why I decided to set up this project with two of my friends.
Through the Senior Citizens Venture we aim to interact with the elderly people living across the borough to have a positive impact on their lives.
“Both the residents and staff at Bridgeside Lodge Care Centre are really welcoming and are always appreciative of our visits.”
- 1 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 2 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 3 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 5 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 6 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 Protesters march in final attempt to prevent incinerator contract
- 9 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 10 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests