Islington students reduce isolation among elderly
- Credit: Archant
Islington students are helping to reduce isolation in their community with a new volunteering project for older residents.
Joining forces with the Bridgside Lodge Care Centre, in…the City University students, Rida Khan, Karishma Patel and Anjorna Nanda, have launched the Senior Citizens Venture, offering activities like gardening, baking and games.
Future projects include a summer barbecue and walks along Regents Canal.
Rida said she wanted to set up the project in memory of her loving grandparents.
She said: “When I found out that a lot of local people in Islington experience loneliness and social isolation I knew I wanted to do something to help, which is why I decided to set up this project with two of my friends.
You may also want to watch:
Through the Senior Citizens Venture we aim to interact with the elderly people living across the borough to have a positive impact on their lives.
“Both the residents and staff at Bridgeside Lodge Care Centre are really welcoming and are always appreciative of our visits.”
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller