Islington students secure place at prestigious National Youth Theatre
Five young thespians have beaten off tough competition to secure a place at a prestigious theatre where famous actors such as Dame Helen Mirren, Colin Firth and Daniel Craig started off.
The students from the Islington Arts and Media School, in Turle Road, Finsbury Park, have been accepted into the National Youth Theatre - after auditioning with 4,500 for just 500 places.
The actors, who are all in Year 11, will now get professional coaching and could feature in productions at venues across the UK.
Aisha Issahaku-Ajona, 16, one of the five students, said: “I played a young girl who is reunited with her real father after many years in my audition piece.
“It was very emotional because I had to put myself in her position. I’ve always loved acting and I feel I will definitely improve with the National Youth Theatre.”
You may also want to watch:
Paul Roseby, artistic director at the National Youth Theatre, said: “We auditioned thousands of talented young people so being awarded a place is an achievement that successful applicants should be really proud of.”
Diana Osagie, head teacher at Islington Arts and Media School, said: “We are incredibly proud of our students’ wonderful achievements. I am sure they will rise to every challenge and perhaps one day they will come back with Oscars.”
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 6 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 8 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 9 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
Islington Council pays the National Youth Theatre to run free workshops for young people aged between 14 and 25.
The events are staged at City and Islington College in Goswell Road, Islington, and at the National Youth Theatre’s base in Holloway Road, Holloway.