Islington students secure place at prestigious National Youth Theatre
Five young thespians have beaten off tough competition to secure a place at a prestigious theatre where famous actors such as Dame Helen Mirren, Colin Firth and Daniel Craig started off.
The students from the Islington Arts and Media School, in Turle Road, Finsbury Park, have been accepted into the National Youth Theatre - after auditioning with 4,500 for just 500 places.
The actors, who are all in Year 11, will now get professional coaching and could feature in productions at venues across the UK.
Aisha Issahaku-Ajona, 16, one of the five students, said: “I played a young girl who is reunited with her real father after many years in my audition piece.
“It was very emotional because I had to put myself in her position. I’ve always loved acting and I feel I will definitely improve with the National Youth Theatre.”
Paul Roseby, artistic director at the National Youth Theatre, said: “We auditioned thousands of talented young people so being awarded a place is an achievement that successful applicants should be really proud of.”
Diana Osagie, head teacher at Islington Arts and Media School, said: “We are incredibly proud of our students’ wonderful achievements. I am sure they will rise to every challenge and perhaps one day they will come back with Oscars.”
- 1 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 2 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 3 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 4 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 5 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 6 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 7 Hospital trust increasingly reliant on international medical staff
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 'Extremely distressing': Council leader's shock after Highbury Fields stabbing
- 10 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
Islington Council pays the National Youth Theatre to run free workshops for young people aged between 14 and 25.
The events are staged at City and Islington College in Goswell Road, Islington, and at the National Youth Theatre’s base in Holloway Road, Holloway.