Islington to host a teaser for the World Burlesque Games 2012
Lashings of glitter and glamour may just be the perfect antidote to Olympic fever next year.
With this in mind, variety acts from across the globe are heading to London in 2012 to compete in a saucy alternative to the famous sporting event - the World Burlesque Games.
And organisers will titillate audiences with a teaser of the week-long contest at a fundraiser in Islington this Saturday.
The event at the Relentless Garage, in Highbury Corner, will feature dozens of noted performers from the world of burlesque and a UK first for headliner and Las Vegas stalwart Erochica Bamboo.
Organiser Chaz Royal, a 10-year veteran of the variety circuit and rightly dubbed the “Burlesque King”, hopes to raise enough money to help stage the first ever Games in May.
You may also want to watch:
The 33-year-old from Camden said: “I felt it was important to bring one major event to Europe that can honour and showcase burlesque. What better time than to co-incide with the Olympics?
“And I would like to think this fundraiser is probably the best burlesque show of the season.”
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
Miss Bamboo will top the bill with her first London show, towing the tricky line between comedy and sexiness, while Australian act Freckles Blue is sure to get audiences hot under the collar with her Egyptian-themed striptease.
But for those mistakenly thinking burlesque is all about the girls - Count Adriano Fettucini will attempt a strip on top a unicycle and Craig The Incredible Hula Boy will show off his impressive acrobatic moves.
Over the last decade burlesque has well and truly put its stamp on the world of entertainment, with shows pouring out from the underground clubs and into the West End.
But its bid for world domination will reach a peak next May with the World Burlesque Games.
Each day is devoted to different categories, including a twisted crown challenge for the freakiest acts, a triple crown challenge for the best tassel and baton twirlers and the inevitable Mr and Miss World Burlesque.
* The fundraiser takes place at the Relentless Garage, from 10.30pm on Saturday, October 1. For more information visit www.londonburlesqueweek.com.