Islington transport chief slams TfL bus cuts – says loss of N271 would hit Whittington Hospital night shift workers
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s transport chief has told Sadiq Khan TfL’s proposed bus cuts will have a “serious negative impact” on people in the borough – including Whittington Hospital shift workers.
TfL is currently consulting on plans to scrap or shortern routes across the capital, saying it needs to “modernise and simplify the network”.
In Islington the plans would affect the 4, 19, 134, 341, 476 and the N271 night bus.
Cllr Claudia Webbe has written a three-page response to the consultation on behalf of the council, and also this week took a 500-strong petition to City Hall calling for the proposals to be scrapped altogether.
She was joined by Cllr Michelline Safi Ngongo and together they handed it to London Assembly members Jennette Arnold and Florence Eshalomi.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We are concerned the changes to bus routes proposed by TfL will have a serious negative impact on local people and our communities. In Islington we have only one fully accessible train station – Caledonian road – and this makes it even more important to retain our accessible bus services.”
Cllr Webbe said the council was “extremely alarmed” about the N271, which is used by shift workers including Whittington Hospital staff.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
She added: “This would make it harder for shift workers to get to work and there would be fewer night buses linking the north and south of Islington.”
The consultation closes today. Have your say here.