Islington woman shaves off hair to make pal’s big day
A Islington woman has shaved her head so a cancer-stricken friend can walk down the aisle with hair on her wedding day.
In a remarkable act of friendship, 29-year-old Miffy Grubb volunteered to chop her locks so close pal Ellie Jeffery, also 29, who is battling secondary breast cancer which has spread through her body, can have a full head of hair when she ties the knot in June.
In doing so, the student from Caledonian Road has also raised close to �5,000 for Action Against Cancer.
She said: “It felt like the right thing to do, to show solidarity and support while raising funds and awareness for the charity. I’m not one for running marathons, so I decided on doing this.”
Ellie, from Brixton, carried out the head shave last week and a hair artist friend will now make a weave from Miffy’s once shoulder-length, wavy locks.
Ellie, who is undergoing chemotherapy, said Miffy was one of the most “amazing” women she had ever met.
She continued: “Not only is this a massively brave and generous thing to do, it will also provide me with hair to use for a made-to-measure wig.
- 1 Family appeal for help to find Islington man missing for more than two weeks
- 2 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 3 How much do you know about Islington?
- 4 Bull's head with links to 'Cally Market' going under the hammer
- 5 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'
- 6 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 7 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 8 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
“The plan was to invest in a real-hair weave that would be stuck on. They look more realistic but it’s very expensive and quite difficult to source good hair. Because of Miffy I now have the hair.”
To sponsor Miffy retrospectively and donate to Action Against Cancer visit mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/miffygrubb1