It’s true! Spandau Ballet star Gary Kemp to appear at Arts and Media School Islington fundraiser
- Credit: PA WIRE
A specialist arts and music school has struck “gold” in its latest fundraising drive – it will host Spandau Ballet star Gary Kemp for an exclusive talk next week.
Compered by veteran music journo Neil McCormick, the evening will also see students from the Arts and Media School perform their take on the Spandau classic Through the Barricades, originally a hit in 1986 – well before any of the students were born.
Mr McCormick, who writes for the Telegraph, has a son in Year 7 at the Turle Road school where he will conduct Thursday’s interview. He is also planning a series of future talks with big names like film composer David Arnold and ex-Undertone Feargal Sharkey.
The cash will be used to fund extra-curricular activities. Mr McCormick told the Gazette parents at the largely working-class school often can’t afford to cough up the hundreds of pounds needed to send children on trips.
“It’s a really progressive school but the middle classes of Islington tend to give it a wide berth,” he told the Gazette. “I thought something like this would be a fun experience and raise a proper amount of money.
You may also want to watch:
“Gary’s a working-class London boy and he knows what it’s like.”
The talk is something of a homecoming for the musician and film star – Spandau Ballet formed at Dame Alice Owen’s School in Islington during the 1970s.
The talk starts at 7.30pm. Click here for tickets.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'