Ivan Gazidis opens up about Arsenal
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal CEO Ivan Gazidis has been busy supporting the women’s side on Sunday. The executive has been the subject of speculation over a move to AC Milan. Read on to find out what he said to Layth Yousif about the team’s excellent victory over Liverpool.
Gazidis, who is kingmaker at the Gunners, has been agonising over the Serie A giants offer to quit the Emirates.
The San Siro outfit are prepared to hand Gazidis an extra £1 million a year on his £2.6m salary.
However, Gazidis – the man who won acclaim from many Arsenal fans for ending Arsene Wenger’s 22-year tenure in N5 – is yet to make an announcement about his future.
The Johannesburg-born former law graduate, who turns 54 the day before Arsenal play Newcastle United, took time out to support the Arsenal Women’s team on Sunday at Boreham Wood during their 5-0 rout over Neil Redfearn’s visitors.
You may also want to watch:
Striker Vivianne Miedema netted a treble as a dominant Arsenal kicked-off the Women’s Super League One season with a dominant performance over the Reds.
The Netherlands international striker turned provider to set up Lisa Evans while Kim Little also chipped in with a goal.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
Speaking to the Islington Gazette immediately after the match he praised the team, saying: “It was a brilliant start.
“We think we’ve got a really great squad. There’s great spirit in the team. You can see they’re fighting for each other.
“Their movement today was excellent, they looked very sharp.
“Joe [Montemurro] is doing a great job and is set to have a very successful season.
“There is quality right across the squad from top to bottom is really good. But what is also important is that there are a lot of young players out there who will grow together.
“It’s going to be an exciting time for Arsenal. We have always been at the forefront of the women’s game and will continue to be.”
The expectation at the club is that Gazids will accept Milan’s offer, but it is understood he is yet to make a firm decision.
Gazidis would not be drawn on his future when questioned by the Gazette but is believed to be seeking assurances from Milan’s new American bosses, Elliott Management, that they are willing to back the Italian club with hard cash for the Rossoneri to compete against Juventus and city rivals Inter.
Gazidis, who appointed Unai Emery as head coach at the Emirates after a lengthy selection process in May, is hugely influential at Arsenal and in the corridors of power in the Premier League, and his stock has never been higher in North London.
Follow Arsenal reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29