Jack Wilshere becomes fifth Arsenal winner of PFA Young Player of the Year award
Gunners’ 19-year-old midfielder is rewarded for stellar debut season
JACK Wilshere became only the fifth Arsenal player to win the PFA Young Player of the Year award at last night’s awards dinner in central London.
Wilshere, 19, received his award from PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor at the Grosvenor House Hotel to complete a rapid rise to stardom.
Having spent the end of last season on loan at Bolton Wanderers, Wilshere only started his first Premier League game for the Gunners at Anfield last August.
However, he has now started 40 games in all competitions this season, and become a regular not only at Arsenal but also in the senior England side, with Fabio Capello having handed him his first competitive start in the recent Euro 2012 qualifier against Wales in Cardiff.
Wilshere becomes the fifth Arsenal player to win this award after Tony Adams (1987), Paul Merson (1989), Nicolas Anelka (1999) and Cesc Fabregas (2008).
The main award was won by Tottenham’s Gareth Bale, although Wilshere and his Arsenal team-mates Samir Nasri and Bacary Sagna were included in the Premier League team of the year (below).
- 1 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 2 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 3 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 4 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 5 Call for fuel payment machines in Hackney and Islington
- 6 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 7 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 8 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 9 Pirates: Reggie Yates film shot in Angel gets release
- 10 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
PREMIER LEAGUE TEAM OF THE YEAR
Van der Sar (Man Utd)
Vidic (Man Utd)
Kompany (Man City)
Nani (Man Utd)
Tevez (Man City)
Berbatov (Man Utd)
PFA Player of The Year: Gareth Bale (Tottenham)
PFA Young Player of The Year: Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)