Jack Wilshere becomes fifth Arsenal winner of PFA Young Player of the Year award
Gunners’ 19-year-old midfielder is rewarded for stellar debut season
JACK Wilshere became only the fifth Arsenal player to win the PFA Young Player of the Year award at last night’s awards dinner in central London.
Wilshere, 19, received his award from PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor at the Grosvenor House Hotel to complete a rapid rise to stardom.
Having spent the end of last season on loan at Bolton Wanderers, Wilshere only started his first Premier League game for the Gunners at Anfield last August.
However, he has now started 40 games in all competitions this season, and become a regular not only at Arsenal but also in the senior England side, with Fabio Capello having handed him his first competitive start in the recent Euro 2012 qualifier against Wales in Cardiff.
You may also want to watch:
Wilshere becomes the fifth Arsenal player to win this award after Tony Adams (1987), Paul Merson (1989), Nicolas Anelka (1999) and Cesc Fabregas (2008).
The main award was won by Tottenham’s Gareth Bale, although Wilshere and his Arsenal team-mates Samir Nasri and Bacary Sagna were included in the Premier League team of the year (below).
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 7 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 8 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 9 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 10 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
PREMIER LEAGUE TEAM OF THE YEAR
Van der Sar (Man Utd)
Vidic (Man Utd)
Kompany (Man City)
Nani (Man Utd)
Tevez (Man City)
Berbatov (Man Utd)
PFA Player of The Year: Gareth Bale (Tottenham)
PFA Young Player of The Year: Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)