Jack Wilshere becomes fifth Arsenal winner of PFA Young Player of the Year award
Gunners’ 19-year-old midfielder is rewarded for stellar debut season
JACK Wilshere became only the fifth Arsenal player to win the PFA Young Player of the Year award at last night’s awards dinner in central London.
Wilshere, 19, received his award from PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor at the Grosvenor House Hotel to complete a rapid rise to stardom.
Having spent the end of last season on loan at Bolton Wanderers, Wilshere only started his first Premier League game for the Gunners at Anfield last August.
However, he has now started 40 games in all competitions this season, and become a regular not only at Arsenal but also in the senior England side, with Fabio Capello having handed him his first competitive start in the recent Euro 2012 qualifier against Wales in Cardiff.
You may also want to watch:
Wilshere becomes the fifth Arsenal player to win this award after Tony Adams (1987), Paul Merson (1989), Nicolas Anelka (1999) and Cesc Fabregas (2008).
The main award was won by Tottenham’s Gareth Bale, although Wilshere and his Arsenal team-mates Samir Nasri and Bacary Sagna were included in the Premier League team of the year (below).
- 1 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
PREMIER LEAGUE TEAM OF THE YEAR
Van der Sar (Man Utd)
Vidic (Man Utd)
Kompany (Man City)
Nani (Man Utd)
Tevez (Man City)
Berbatov (Man Utd)
PFA Player of The Year: Gareth Bale (Tottenham)
PFA Young Player of The Year: Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)