Jack Wilshere to leave Arsenal after Unai Emery meeting gave him ‘little choice’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Jack Wilshere has confirmed he is to leave Arsenal when his contract expires at the end of June.
The Hitchin-reared midfielder who burst onto the scene as a fresh-faced 16-year-old posted on social media that, after a meeting with new boss Unai Emery, he decided to leave the North London giants.
Wilshere and his representatives have been talking on and off with Arsenal for more than 12 months – but neither party could reach an agreement to sign a contract extension.
The talented 26-year-old posted on his personal Instagram account: “I can confirm that I will be leaving Arsenal Football Club when my contract expires at the end of June.
“Following a number of extensive conversations with those at the club, and in particular a recent meeting with the new manager Unai Emery. I felt that I was ultimately left with little choice but to make the decision that I have due purely to footballing reasons.
“As has widely been reported I, along with my representative, have been in talks with the club for a number of months with the view to signing a new contract to extend my stay at the Emirates.
“My intention throughout these discussions has always been to remain an Arsenal player. I have been on the books at Arsenal for 17 years and have always felt part of the fabric of the club.
- 1 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 2 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 3 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 4 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 5 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 6 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 7 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 8 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 9 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 10 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
“Such was my desire to stay that I had recently agreed to sign a financially reduced contract in order to commit my future to the club.”
It is understood Arsenal had offered him in the region of £85,000 per week, plus a heavily incentivised package based upon future appearances.
However, with Wilshere seeing his midfield colleague Mesut Oxzil awarded £350,000 per week, representatives for the England international – once hailed by Pep Guardiola in a Champions League match against his Barcelona charges in 2011 – wanted more, although, nowhere near the amount Ozil is receiving.