Joe Swift gets Islington ‘in Bloom’ as competition launches
- Credit: Archant
TV gardener Joe Swift helped launch this year’s Islington in Bloom competition on Thursday.
The competition to find the borough’s best green spaces was launched at the Business Design Centre by the star of the BBC’s Gardener’s World.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington’s environment leader, said: “Our strength is our community, which, year after year, comes together to make our green spaces and neighbourhoods blossom. This makes such a nice difference to Islington’s streets.
“These efforts are all the more important because we have the least green space per person in London and that is why we are all so committed to keeping it flourishing.”
Islington In Bloom is open to all: and if you don’t have a front garden, it could be a tree pit planted in your nearest community garden, for example. The Gazette is sponsoring the “best estate” category.
You may also want to watch:
Entries are open until May 31 with judging from mid-June. For more information, see islington.gov.uk/inbloom
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting