Joe Swift gets Islington ‘in Bloom’ as competition launches
- Credit: Archant
TV gardener Joe Swift helped launch this year’s Islington in Bloom competition on Thursday.
The competition to find the borough’s best green spaces was launched at the Business Design Centre by the star of the BBC’s Gardener’s World.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington’s environment leader, said: “Our strength is our community, which, year after year, comes together to make our green spaces and neighbourhoods blossom. This makes such a nice difference to Islington’s streets.
“These efforts are all the more important because we have the least green space per person in London and that is why we are all so committed to keeping it flourishing.”
Islington In Bloom is open to all: and if you don’t have a front garden, it could be a tree pit planted in your nearest community garden, for example. The Gazette is sponsoring the “best estate” category.
You may also want to watch:
Entries are open until May 31 with judging from mid-June. For more information, see islington.gov.uk/inbloom
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild