Karen Loader’s Altered States to open at the Highgate Gallery
- Credit: Archant
The artist’s work explores the differences between tangible places and abstract spaces
Karen Loader’s artistic process begins with a place – she walks around it, photographing, noting architectural shapes, textures and juxtapositions of colour.
For her latest exhibition Altered States, she explored her own Holloway neighbourhood where she has lived for more than 25 years, roaming the back streets and alleyways off the A1 up to Highgate.
Back in the studio, she works her subjective observations into drawings that play with space and colour.
Finally, they are scaled up into larger abstract works that she hopes capture the mood and atmosphere of the original location, and which might trigger memories or associations in the viewer.
You may also want to watch:
She often works within the rigid parameters of a grid – believing that it allows for infinite possibilities to explore space and objects. But she is always seeking the chinks where the mathematical harmony is disrupted – using layers of acrylic colour to create both the harmony and disruption of space.
Ultimately Loader is probing the differences and similarities between place and space – place as somewhere tangible that can be experienced through the senses, and space as something abstract that’s felt rather than observed.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
Altered States runs from April 28 until May 11 at Highgate Gallery at the Highgate Literary and Scientific Institution in South Grove, Highgate. hlsi.net