Claudia Webbe: Labour calls for MP found guilty of harassment to resign
- Credit: PA
The Labour Party has called for Claudia Webbe to resign as an MP, after she was found guilty of harassment yesterday (October 13).
Islington-based Claudia Webbe, 56, who sits in the Commons as an independent after being suspended by the Labour Party, threatened to throw acid at her boyfriend’s female friend because she was jealous.
Leicester East MP Webbe also said she would send naked pictures of 59-year-old Michelle Merritt to her family.
Following the guilty verdict at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, a Labour spokesman said: “The Labour Party strongly condemns Claudia Webbe’s actions and she should now resign.”
Webbe - who held the post of councillor for Bunhill ward alongside her post as MP until May - denied harassment.
You may also want to watch:
Specialist prosecutor Lisa Rose, of the CPS which brought the case, said: “Webbe told police she did not appreciate the calls were unwanted or causing distress. However the prosecution case was that the police had issued her with a clear warning about her conduct. No-one should have to endure this sort of harassment."
- 1 Family appeal for help to find Islington man missing for more than two weeks
- 2 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 3 How much do you know about Islington?
- 4 Bull's head with links to 'Cally Market' going under the hammer
- 5 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'
- 6 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 7 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 8 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?