Lacazette believes Arsenal got lucky in win over West Ham
- Credit: PA
Goalscorer Alexandre Lacazette believes Arsenal were lucky in their 1-0 win over West Ham United at the Emirates on Saturday afternoon.
The Frenchman came off the bench and tucked home the winner with 12 minutes to play after the Gunners had been frustrated by their plucky London rivals, but the Hammers had plenty of chances of their own and were only kept out by the brilliant Bernd Leno.
Although Lacazette was delighted to secure all three points, he thinks the visitors deserved more than they got.
"I am happy, obviously, to score that goal for the team, but we won three points today and that was important for us in the table," said Lacazette.
"It was hard, and a difficult game, we are lucky I think.
You may also want to watch:
"I think they deserved more because they had a lot of chances.
"Even with the save from Bernd, it was amazing, but this is football sometimes you don't win even if you deserve it."
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 3 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 4 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe streets where you live?
- 5 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 6 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 8 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 9 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 10 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
Lacazette's goal will boost his chances of returning to the starting XI after Eddie Nketiah was picked to lead the line by Mikel Arteta once again.
The Frenchman has found himself in an ongoing battle with the youngster for a place, but he believes competition for places is a good thing, saying: "I think yes because we have to play well to get a game.
"Everybody wants to give their best and normally when everyone does we perform well.
"This is my job, to give the manager a big headache because he's putting together the first XI.
"I am happy to score today and we won so everything is good."