Last chance to nominate Islington’s local heroes for Civic Awards
- Credit: Archant
Nominations for the borough’s unsung heroes are still being received with the Mayor’s Civic Awards approaching.
The awards, along with the Ben Kinsella Award for young people, are given to those who have made an outstanding contribution to life in the borough.
Nominees for both awards can be family members or carers, charity volunteers, local entrepreneurs and employers, or neighbours who help to make Islington the place it is.
The 2013 winners included Daniel Baker, who works hard at Cubitt Education in Angel Mews, Islington, to get local people of all ages and backgrounds involved in the arts and Mohammad Yasar, an Islington civil enforcement officer who stepped in when he saw a mugging taking place.
The Ben Kinsella award was presented to J’Vorge Kelly, who, at just 16, stepped in and used his first-aid knowledge to assist a man who had collapsed on the floor, helping to save his life.
You may also want to watch:
The awards, which are once against sponsored by the Gazette, will take place on March 11 at Islington Assembly Hall.
Nominations for the 2014 awards are open until Friday 24 January and can be made online at www.islington.gov.uk/civicaward or by picking up a
- 1 Family appeal for help to find Islington man missing for more than two weeks
- 2 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 3 How much do you know about Islington?
- 4 Bull's head with links to 'Cally Market' going under the hammer
- 5 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'
- 6 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 7 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 8 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
copy of the nomination form from your local library or school.
Islington Mayor, Cllr Barry Edwards, said: “Islington is a fantastic borough where lots of people make a selfless contribution to the lives of others, often in their own time.
“If you know someone who puts that effort in to make a positive change in Islington, these awards are the perfect chance for us to say the big thank you they deserve.”