Late-night fire in Hoxton cafe forces 20 to flee the flames
- Credit: Archant
Flames tear through basement of building forcing evacuation
A late-night fire in a cafe forced 20 people to flee the building.
The blaze ripped through the basement of the establishment, in Pitfield Street, Hoxton, at about 2.30am on Saturday morning.
About 20 people managed escape from the premises, which had flats above it, before London Fire Brigade turned up.
Four fire engines and around 20 fire fighters from Shoreditch, Dowgate, Whitechapel and Bethnal Green tackled the blaze and had the situation under control just before 4am.
No one was injured, but the basement was partly damaged by fire.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago