Late-night fire in Hoxton cafe forces 20 to flee the flames
- Credit: Archant
Flames tear through basement of building forcing evacuation
A late-night fire in a cafe forced 20 people to flee the building.
The blaze ripped through the basement of the establishment, in Pitfield Street, Hoxton, at about 2.30am on Saturday morning.
About 20 people managed escape from the premises, which had flats above it, before London Fire Brigade turned up.
Four fire engines and around 20 fire fighters from Shoreditch, Dowgate, Whitechapel and Bethnal Green tackled the blaze and had the situation under control just before 4am.
No one was injured, but the basement was partly damaged by fire.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the blaze is under investigation.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 8 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 9 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo