Argonon COO Laura Bessell raises over £1,300 for Women and Children First with Royal Parks Half Marathon run
- Credit: Women and Children First
Laura Bessell would never have considered running a half marathon until she became the treasurer of Women and Children First a year ago.
The charity in Caledonian Road works to reduce maternal and infant deaths in the most remote parts of Africa and Asia.
When they approached Laura to do the Royal Parks run, she decided she was up for the challenge.
"I'm a mother and having had a difficult birth with my first child, it's a charity close to my heart," said Laura, of Highbury, who is the chief operating officer at TV production company Argonon in Angel.
She trained by running up hills while on holiday in South Africa and then completing the Hackney Half and Robin Hood half marathons as a warm up. Laura completed Sunday's 13 mile run in just over two hours, and has raised over £1,300.
You may also want to watch:
"It was gruelling," she said. "It was raining and I was battering the elements.
"I was very sore and painful afterwards and I couldn't walk very well. But it was worth it to be able to raise money to help save the lives of vulnerable women and children."
To sponsor Laura see bit.ly/2MEBaUL.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London