Argonon COO Laura Bessell raises over £1,300 for Women and Children First with Royal Parks Half Marathon run
- Credit: Women and Children First
Laura Bessell would never have considered running a half marathon until she became the treasurer of Women and Children First a year ago.
The charity in Caledonian Road works to reduce maternal and infant deaths in the most remote parts of Africa and Asia.
When they approached Laura to do the Royal Parks run, she decided she was up for the challenge.
"I'm a mother and having had a difficult birth with my first child, it's a charity close to my heart," said Laura, of Highbury, who is the chief operating officer at TV production company Argonon in Angel.
She trained by running up hills while on holiday in South Africa and then completing the Hackney Half and Robin Hood half marathons as a warm up. Laura completed Sunday's 13 mile run in just over two hours, and has raised over £1,300.
You may also want to watch:
"It was gruelling," she said. "It was raining and I was battering the elements.
"I was very sore and painful afterwards and I couldn't walk very well. But it was worth it to be able to raise money to help save the lives of vulnerable women and children."
To sponsor Laura see bit.ly/2MEBaUL.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington