Layth Yousif’s Arsenal opinion – Alexandre Lacazette’s signing has to be start not end of transfer activity
- Credit: PA
Arsenal have signed Alexandre Lacazette for a fee in the region of £52 million with add-ons included.
Credit where credit is due. The club has acted to purchase a player not only with potential but proven ability.
With the Lyon star being top scorer in France for the last three seasons you have to say he is a worthy addition to the club, and we wish him well.
What has to happen now is that Arsenal continue to make signings – namely their own players.
It is imperative that they offer both Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil the contracts their talents deserve.
You may also want to watch:
Yes, £300,000 a week is a ridiculous sum of money, but it is the market rate in the world’s most popular sport that rakes in billions of pounds.
To not offer those two players contracts commensurate with their abilities is to not act in the best interests of the club.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
How much would it cost to replace them?
Far more than what the club is being asked to offer for a suitable replacement that’s for sure – and if the club were to pick up such players there would also be a settling in period in which the new players would require to get up to speed in their new surroundings.
Who still recalls the Ashley Cole fiasco – and yes, to nearly swerve your car off the road because you’ve ‘only’ been offered £50k a week is decidedly unpalatable to say the least.
But the fact remained Cole gave nearly a decade’s service as arguably the best-left back in the world – to a London rival all for the sake of £5/10k a week.
For that to happen again with Sanchez going to Manchester City would be unforgivable – even if you don’t subscribe to the theory that a player would willingly join a manager who had previously discarded him.
So, yes, while we eagerly await Lacazette playing for Arsenal, the club needs to do more to persuade Sanchez and Ozil to stay.
As well as Olivier Giroud as quality back up and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
Not to mention sort out Jack Wilshere’s contract situation.
The signing of the talented French forward is a start – but it can’t be the end.
As an aside perhaps the most influential signing the club will make this summer will be former Invincible Jens Lehman.
Not just for what he will give to our goalkeepers including Petr Cech – but for the winning ethos and commitment he will bring – as he did when he was a player.
It promises to be an interesting few weeks on and off the pitch.
Oh to be an observer at that first training session with Lacazette – and with hopefully Ozil and Sanchez too.