Leno lauds ‘unbelievable’ Aubameyang as Arsenal star proves worth once again in Villa win
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno was keen to praise Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang after he scored a late winner in Sunday’s 3-2 victory over Aston Villa, describing the striker as ‘unbelievable’.
Aubameyang smashed home a free-kick in the 84th minute to secure three points for the 10-man Gunners after a testing afternoon at the Emirates.
The 30-year-old now has seven goals in as many games across all competitions this season and goalkeeper Leno is fully aware of the striker's importance.
Speaking about Aubameyang's winner and his form this season, Leno said: "I had the perfect view.
"From behind I could see the shot, it was a knuckle-ball, I think and it's very difficult for the goalkeeper because he didn't see the ball and it was a fantastic goal.
You may also want to watch:
"He's unbelievable and the goal was also unbelievable.
"I think he's very important for us because he scoring almost every week, and getting important goals for us too."
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 5 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
Despite more defensive mistake that are quickly becoming a hallmark of Unai Emery's side, Leno believes they deserved to win the game.
"I think the win showed a lot of our quality in our mind," he said.
"In the dressing room we spoke at half-time that we had nothing to lose.
"We were already one-nil and with one less player, and we can fight and we can win this game and the team showed a great response.
"At the end we had so many good chances to score and the win was well deserved."