Lifelong Arsenal fans win free wedding reception at town hall
- Credit: Archant
A born and bred Islington couple received an early Valentine’s Day present from the council.
Katie Lazell and her fiancé David Beattie have won a free wedding ceremony at the town hall after entering a prize draw at a wedding fair in September.
David, 33, met Katie, 29, when the two were both holiday play workers for Islington Council’s Play and Youth Service.
Eleven years on, the happy couple live together in Canonbury Road and will now tie the knot free of charge in the 150-seat circular council chamber on May 31.
You may also want to watch:
“We found out we won the prize draw after we attended the Islington Registrars Wedding Fair in September,” Katie said.
“I couldn’t believe it because I never win anything.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
“My mum always wanted me to get married here and have my photos on the town hall steps.
“We’d already booked the council chamber and paid the deposit – now we’ll get that money back.
“We are both Gooners, so we booked the wedding slap bang between the end of the Premiership season ending and the World Cup starting.
“The town hall is the perfect location for all our Islington family and our friends across north London to join us – and handy for the reception afterwards.”
Four period ceremony rooms of different capacities are available for couples at the town hall, including intimate settings such as the Mayor’s Parlour.
Twice a year, Islington Registrars Service holds wedding fairs to give couples tours of the town hall’s ceremony rooms as well as a look at details of more than 20 council-licensed ceremony venues across Islington and the City of London.
Venues featured include Arsenal FC’s Emirates Stadium, the historic 14th-century Merchant Taylors’ Hall and the iconic Gherkin.
Local wedding suppliers and experienced council registrar staff are also at the fairs to offer help and advice.