Lifelong Arsenal fans win free wedding reception at town hall
- Credit: Archant
A born and bred Islington couple received an early Valentine’s Day present from the council.
Katie Lazell and her fiancé David Beattie have won a free wedding ceremony at the town hall after entering a prize draw at a wedding fair in September.
David, 33, met Katie, 29, when the two were both holiday play workers for Islington Council’s Play and Youth Service.
Eleven years on, the happy couple live together in Canonbury Road and will now tie the knot free of charge in the 150-seat circular council chamber on May 31.
“We found out we won the prize draw after we attended the Islington Registrars Wedding Fair in September,” Katie said.
“I couldn’t believe it because I never win anything.
- 1 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 2 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 3 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 4 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 5 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 6 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 7 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 8 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 9 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
“My mum always wanted me to get married here and have my photos on the town hall steps.
“We’d already booked the council chamber and paid the deposit – now we’ll get that money back.
“We are both Gooners, so we booked the wedding slap bang between the end of the Premiership season ending and the World Cup starting.
“The town hall is the perfect location for all our Islington family and our friends across north London to join us – and handy for the reception afterwards.”
Four period ceremony rooms of different capacities are available for couples at the town hall, including intimate settings such as the Mayor’s Parlour.
Twice a year, Islington Registrars Service holds wedding fairs to give couples tours of the town hall’s ceremony rooms as well as a look at details of more than 20 council-licensed ceremony venues across Islington and the City of London.
Venues featured include Arsenal FC’s Emirates Stadium, the historic 14th-century Merchant Taylors’ Hall and the iconic Gherkin.
Local wedding suppliers and experienced council registrar staff are also at the fairs to offer help and advice.