Lighterman’s dirty extraction system causes fire in Granary Square, King’s Cross
- Credit: Archant
A gastropub’s dirty extraction system caused a fire in Granary Square, King’s Cross, last night.
Crews were called to the plush Lighterman pub at 5.30pm and it took almost two hours to get the blaze under control.
London Fire Brigade said it was caused by fat and oil in the ducting being ignited by a wood burner.
Open House, which runs the pub, said the extraction ducting was last cleaned on April 13.
Part of the kitchen, most of a ground floor store room, half a first floor store room and all the ducting from the lower ground floor to the roof were damaged in the fire. There were no injuries.
You may also want to watch:
A brigade spokesperson warned: “Restaurant and take-away owners should always take care to make sure their extraction systems are kept clean as a build up of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire.”
Four fire engines and 21 crew members from Euston, Kentish Town and Islington fire stations attended the blaze.
- 1 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 2 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 3 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 4 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 5 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 6 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 7 Whittington NHS bosses announce maternity transformation plans
- 8 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 9 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
- 10 Arsenal midfielder Jill Roord completes move to Bundesliga side VfL Wolfsburg