Liverpool Road venue to open as pub after removing squatters
- Credit: Archant
A former jazz bar in Liverpool Road will reopen next month as a gastropub after a slight delay – caused by squatters locking out builders.
Family business Hippo Inns took over the old Round Midnight venue in May. But while they were locked in negotiations a group of squatters moved into the site and had to be evicted with a court order.
Then, when contractors went in to start renovation work on the pub, to be named The Town House, they were joined by more squatters, who then locked them out – with their tools inside.
After another trip to see magistrates, the work was able to start and next month married couple Rupert and Jo Cleverly will toast the opening of their new pub.
The pair have plenty of experience in the pub industry and launched Hippo Inns after selling their company Geronimo Inns in 2010.
You may also want to watch:
Geronimo owns a host of pubs across the capital, including The Curious Pig in Islington, while Hippo now has four venues, all in London.
Rupert told the Gazette: “Islington has long been established as a food and drink hotspot on London’s culinary map and it’s why we’re really looking to opening a site there.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
“The doors will open in early September and we want the locals to view it as a genuine extension of their own homes.”
The Hippo Inns website says its venues host acoustic live music every evening from 6.30pm to 8.30pm.