Liverpool Road venue to open as pub after removing squatters
- Credit: Archant
A former jazz bar in Liverpool Road will reopen next month as a gastropub after a slight delay – caused by squatters locking out builders.
Family business Hippo Inns took over the old Round Midnight venue in May. But while they were locked in negotiations a group of squatters moved into the site and had to be evicted with a court order.
Then, when contractors went in to start renovation work on the pub, to be named The Town House, they were joined by more squatters, who then locked them out – with their tools inside.
After another trip to see magistrates, the work was able to start and next month married couple Rupert and Jo Cleverly will toast the opening of their new pub.
The pair have plenty of experience in the pub industry and launched Hippo Inns after selling their company Geronimo Inns in 2010.
You may also want to watch:
Geronimo owns a host of pubs across the capital, including The Curious Pig in Islington, while Hippo now has four venues, all in London.
Rupert told the Gazette: “Islington has long been established as a food and drink hotspot on London’s culinary map and it’s why we’re really looking to opening a site there.
- 1 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 5 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 6 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
“The doors will open in early September and we want the locals to view it as a genuine extension of their own homes.”
The Hippo Inns website says its venues host acoustic live music every evening from 6.30pm to 8.30pm.