Business of the week: Lizzy’s on the Green, Newington Green
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, the Gazette profiles and champions a fascinating shop or company doing business here in Islington. This week, we sat down with Lizzy Bassham, owner of Lizzy’s on the Green in Newington Green.
Lizzy Bassham had an acting career before opening her cafe in Newington Green five years ago this week. She doesn’t appear to miss it one bit.
Lizzy’s on the Green is an “affordable, not elite” cafe in the middle of the park.
She recalls: “I was acting but also had a cake company on the side, as acting was not profitable! The cake baking business got really busy and my friend’s father saw a sign saying this little shack was available. I had eight days to get it ready and didn’t sleep.
“This community is so special. We know every customer by name. We have the most amazing, diverse clientele. We have a big Turkish Cypriot community and the pensioners come and socialise over a 50p tea or coffee. We have mums who will come for a chat and sometimes a cuddle. We look after each other here.”
You may also want to watch:
Of her affordable ethos, Lizzy adds: “I’m sick of going into cafes and feeling out-priced. There’s no reason to out-price people.”
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 3 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
- 9 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing