Business of the week: Lizzy’s on the Green, Newington Green
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, the Gazette profiles and champions a fascinating shop or company doing business here in Islington. This week, we sat down with Lizzy Bassham, owner of Lizzy’s on the Green in Newington Green.
Lizzy Bassham had an acting career before opening her cafe in Newington Green five years ago this week. She doesn’t appear to miss it one bit.
Lizzy’s on the Green is an “affordable, not elite” cafe in the middle of the park.
She recalls: “I was acting but also had a cake company on the side, as acting was not profitable! The cake baking business got really busy and my friend’s father saw a sign saying this little shack was available. I had eight days to get it ready and didn’t sleep.
“This community is so special. We know every customer by name. We have the most amazing, diverse clientele. We have a big Turkish Cypriot community and the pensioners come and socialise over a 50p tea or coffee. We have mums who will come for a chat and sometimes a cuddle. We look after each other here.”
You may also want to watch:
Of her affordable ethos, Lizzy adds: “I’m sick of going into cafes and feeling out-priced. There’s no reason to out-price people.”
- 1 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 5 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 6 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets