Business of the week: Lizzy’s on the Green, Newington Green
- Credit: Archant
In a weekly feature, the Gazette profiles and champions a fascinating shop or company doing business here in Islington. This week, we sat down with Lizzy Bassham, owner of Lizzy’s on the Green in Newington Green.
Lizzy Bassham had an acting career before opening her cafe in Newington Green five years ago this week. She doesn’t appear to miss it one bit.
Lizzy’s on the Green is an “affordable, not elite” cafe in the middle of the park.
She recalls: “I was acting but also had a cake company on the side, as acting was not profitable! The cake baking business got really busy and my friend’s father saw a sign saying this little shack was available. I had eight days to get it ready and didn’t sleep.
“This community is so special. We know every customer by name. We have the most amazing, diverse clientele. We have a big Turkish Cypriot community and the pensioners come and socialise over a 50p tea or coffee. We have mums who will come for a chat and sometimes a cuddle. We look after each other here.”
Of her affordable ethos, Lizzy adds: “I’m sick of going into cafes and feeling out-priced. There’s no reason to out-price people.”
- 1 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 2 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 3 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 4 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 5 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 6 Deadline extended for Islington's greener futures fund
- 7 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 8 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 9 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 10 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids