A betting company has offered odds on the colour of Jeremy Corbyn’s suit...
- Credit: PA
David Cameron was accused of a “nasty personal attack” when he ridiculed the clothing of Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn yesterday - and it has prompted bookmakers to offer odds on the Labour leader’s next suit choice.
Heckled by Labour MPs over what his mother, a critic of Conservative cuts to local councils, would think about problems in the health service, the Mr Cameron turned his fire on Mr Corbyn during Prime Minister’s Questions.
He said: “Ask my mother? I think I know what my mother would say. I think she would look across the despatch box and she would say: ‘Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem.’”
Bookmaker Star Sports has now offered odds on the colour of Mr Corbyn’s suit during next week’s Prime Minister’s Questions, and expect him to stick to his “trusted beige whistle”.
Jamie Loughead, Star Sports spokesman, comments: “You’d think the Prime Minister would have enough on his plate after his failed negotiations in Brussels and his party in civil war, but his focus is firmly on Jeremy’s suit. We’re confident that Corbyn will don his trademark beige and come out fighting.”
Mr Cameron’s comments delighted Tory backbenchers who cheered uproariously in the Commons for more than 30 seconds. But Labour MP Wes Streeting was quick to condemn Mr Cameron for hitting a “new low”, saying it was a “nasty personal attack”.
Star Sports’ odds on Jeremy Corbyn’s suit choice at next week’s Prime Minister’s Questions, as of last night:
- 1 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 2 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 West Hampstead man fatally stabbed in Ealing
- 5 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 6 Arteta's Arsenal plan coming together nicely
- 7 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 8 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 9 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 10 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
Navy blue: 6/1
Union Jack pattern: 1000/1
Additional reporting by PA