Archway job centre to shut, leaving staff and users to travel to Barnsbury or Finsbury Park
- Credit: Archant
The Job Centre in Elthorne Road, Archway, is to shut – leaving users and staff to travel to Barnsbury or Finsbury Park.
It’s part of a plan by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to save more than £140million a year for the next decade.
The branch, officially called Highgate Job Centre despite its location, is one of 68 smaller offices across the UK that will merge into larger or underused ones nearby. Staff from Highgate will go to Barnsbury Road or Medina Road.
The DWP says it wants to create a “more efficient and modern” employment service.Some 80pc of claims for jobseeker’s allowance and 99pc of applications for universal credit full service are now made online, it adds.
Employment minister Damian Hinds said: “These changes reflect the fact more people access benefits online, resulting in our buildings being underused.”
You may also want to watch:
Are you affected? Tell us your opinion – e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 7 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 8 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 9 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 10 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park