Archway job centre to shut, leaving staff and users to travel to Barnsbury or Finsbury Park
- Credit: Archant
The Job Centre in Elthorne Road, Archway, is to shut – leaving users and staff to travel to Barnsbury or Finsbury Park.
It’s part of a plan by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to save more than £140million a year for the next decade.
The branch, officially called Highgate Job Centre despite its location, is one of 68 smaller offices across the UK that will merge into larger or underused ones nearby. Staff from Highgate will go to Barnsbury Road or Medina Road.
The DWP says it wants to create a “more efficient and modern” employment service.Some 80pc of claims for jobseeker’s allowance and 99pc of applications for universal credit full service are now made online, it adds.
Employment minister Damian Hinds said: “These changes reflect the fact more people access benefits online, resulting in our buildings being underused.”
You may also want to watch:
Are you affected? Tell us your opinion – e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Family appeal for help to find Islington man missing for more than two weeks
- 2 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 3 How much do you know about Islington?
- 4 Bull's head with links to 'Cally Market' going under the hammer
- 5 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'
- 6 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 7 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 8 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack