Holloway Prison to close, George Osborne announces
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Holloway Prison is to close, Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne said this afternoon.
Mr Osborne announced the women’s prison, in Parkhurst Road, will shut in his spending review and autumn statement.
Though he wasn’t specific about the Holloway site, he appeared to suggest the building will make way for housing.
Mr Osborne said: “I can tell the House that Holloway Prison, the biggest women’s jail in western Europe, will close.
“In the future, women prisoners will serve their sentences in more humane conditions, better designed to keep them away from crime.
You may also want to watch:
“By selling these old prisons, we will create more space for housing in our inner cities, for another of the great social failures of our age has been the failure to build enough houses.
“In the end, spending reviews like this come down to choices about what are priorities are. I am clear, in this spending review, we choose to build.”
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 3 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 4 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 7 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 8 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 9 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 10 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years