Cameron criticises Miliband for never leaving Islington
- Credit: Archant
Ed Miliband came under fire from the Prime Minister on Monday for never leaving Islington – despite the Labour leader’s home being in Camden.
The jibe was launched at Mr Miliband in a commons debate in which David Cameron expressed his doubts over his opponent’s knowledge of foreign affairs.
Mr Miliband had claimed the last Labour government blocked Sri Lanka from controversially hosting the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (Chogm) and questioned why the Prime Minister had not done the same.
The PM said if the Labour leader knew anything about foreign affairs he would have known that decision was very difficult to reverse as it was agreed by consensus in the Commonwealth.
Mr Cameron said: “Given Labour agreed to this conference taking place in Sri Lanka, criticising my attendance I think breaks new records for opportunism and double-speak.
You may also want to watch:
“If you know anything about foreign affairs, and I doubt it because you barely get out of Islington, you would know this is a consensus organisation, once something has been agreed it is very difficult to unblock it.”
Mr Miliband, who lives in Dartmouth Park, Camden, could be seen laughing at the Prime Minister’s comments in the commons.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition