Cameron criticises Miliband for never leaving Islington
- Credit: Archant
Ed Miliband came under fire from the Prime Minister on Monday for never leaving Islington – despite the Labour leader’s home being in Camden.
The jibe was launched at Mr Miliband in a commons debate in which David Cameron expressed his doubts over his opponent’s knowledge of foreign affairs.
Mr Miliband had claimed the last Labour government blocked Sri Lanka from controversially hosting the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (Chogm) and questioned why the Prime Minister had not done the same.
The PM said if the Labour leader knew anything about foreign affairs he would have known that decision was very difficult to reverse as it was agreed by consensus in the Commonwealth.
Mr Cameron said: “Given Labour agreed to this conference taking place in Sri Lanka, criticising my attendance I think breaks new records for opportunism and double-speak.
You may also want to watch:
“If you know anything about foreign affairs, and I doubt it because you barely get out of Islington, you would know this is a consensus organisation, once something has been agreed it is very difficult to unblock it.”
Mr Miliband, who lives in Dartmouth Park, Camden, could be seen laughing at the Prime Minister’s comments in the commons.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park