Clegg “idiot” for borough slur, says Islington MP
- Credit: Archant
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has been branded an “idiot” by Emily Thornberry for comments about Islington.
He described the tweet which saw Ms Thornberry resign from the shadow cabinet as “drippingly patronising”.
The Lib Dem leader said: “It was a jaw-droppingly condescending way of treating someone who was just proudly hanging some flags outside their home.”
“Maybe it happens if you become MP for Islington.”
Ms Thornberry said: “Nick Clegg is an idiot.
You may also want to watch:
“Islington used to the Lib Dems’ most targeted borough. Now he seems to be insulting everyone who lives here.
“This borough was the Lib Dems’ number one target at the last general election.
- 1 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 4 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 10 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
“Now a few years later is he just abandoning it?”
Terry Stacy, former leader of Islington Council who is running against Ms Thornberry for the Islington South and Finsbury seat in next year’s general election, said: “I don’t know what is behind that comment. I have no idea where he was coming from. It may have been a slide-by comment, I am a bit surprised.”