Clegg “idiot” for borough slur, says Islington MP
- Credit: Archant
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has been branded an “idiot” by Emily Thornberry for comments about Islington.
He described the tweet which saw Ms Thornberry resign from the shadow cabinet as “drippingly patronising”.
The Lib Dem leader said: “It was a jaw-droppingly condescending way of treating someone who was just proudly hanging some flags outside their home.”
“Maybe it happens if you become MP for Islington.”
Ms Thornberry said: “Nick Clegg is an idiot.
“Islington used to the Lib Dems’ most targeted borough. Now he seems to be insulting everyone who lives here.
“This borough was the Lib Dems’ number one target at the last general election.
- 1 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 2 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 3 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 4 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 5 Call for fuel payment machines in Hackney and Islington
- 6 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 7 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 8 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 9 Pirates: Reggie Yates film shot in Angel gets release
- 10 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
“Now a few years later is he just abandoning it?”
Terry Stacy, former leader of Islington Council who is running against Ms Thornberry for the Islington South and Finsbury seat in next year’s general election, said: “I don’t know what is behind that comment. I have no idea where he was coming from. It may have been a slide-by comment, I am a bit surprised.”