Clegg “idiot” for borough slur, says Islington MP
- Credit: Archant
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has been branded an “idiot” by Emily Thornberry for comments about Islington.
He described the tweet which saw Ms Thornberry resign from the shadow cabinet as “drippingly patronising”.
The Lib Dem leader said: “It was a jaw-droppingly condescending way of treating someone who was just proudly hanging some flags outside their home.”
“Maybe it happens if you become MP for Islington.”
Ms Thornberry said: “Nick Clegg is an idiot.
You may also want to watch:
“Islington used to the Lib Dems’ most targeted borough. Now he seems to be insulting everyone who lives here.
“This borough was the Lib Dems’ number one target at the last general election.
- 1 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
“Now a few years later is he just abandoning it?”
Terry Stacy, former leader of Islington Council who is running against Ms Thornberry for the Islington South and Finsbury seat in next year’s general election, said: “I don’t know what is behind that comment. I have no idea where he was coming from. It may have been a slide-by comment, I am a bit surprised.”