Clegg “idiot” for borough slur, says Islington MP
- Credit: Archant
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has been branded an “idiot” by Emily Thornberry for comments about Islington.
He described the tweet which saw Ms Thornberry resign from the shadow cabinet as “drippingly patronising”.
The Lib Dem leader said: “It was a jaw-droppingly condescending way of treating someone who was just proudly hanging some flags outside their home.”
“Maybe it happens if you become MP for Islington.”
Ms Thornberry said: “Nick Clegg is an idiot.
You may also want to watch:
“Islington used to the Lib Dems’ most targeted borough. Now he seems to be insulting everyone who lives here.
“This borough was the Lib Dems’ number one target at the last general election.
- 1 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 2 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 3 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 4 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 5 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 6 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 7 Whittington NHS bosses announce maternity transformation plans
- 8 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 9 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
- 10 St George's Day, Partners Islington, LTNs and Local Plan policy
“Now a few years later is he just abandoning it?”
Terry Stacy, former leader of Islington Council who is running against Ms Thornberry for the Islington South and Finsbury seat in next year’s general election, said: “I don’t know what is behind that comment. I have no idea where he was coming from. It may have been a slide-by comment, I am a bit surprised.”