Free parking for Armed Forces in Islington? Councillor pushes transport chief on issue
- Credit: Archant
A councillor is trying to secure free parking for members of the Armed Forces – but the town hall’s transport boss wouldn’t commit.
At last night’s full council meeting, Cllr Gary Poole, Islington’s Armed Forces champion, asked if servicemen could get free parking when visiting relatives in the borough while on leave.
“This is a real issue,” he said. “Members of the Armed Forces, by nature of their work, are not necessarily rooted in their community and don’t necessarily enjoy navigating bureaucracy when returning to the UK.
“I would at least like the principle of Armed Forces coming to this borough having free parking.”
But Cllr Webbe questioned whether the council could “justify a specific Armed Forces permit”. She added: “I would be happy to meet you to discuss it further. I think we should look at this on a case by case basis and mention it to the parking team so they can at least be mindful.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Poole nodded solemnly at her suggestion.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago