Free parking for Armed Forces in Islington? Councillor pushes transport chief on issue
- Credit: Archant
A councillor is trying to secure free parking for members of the Armed Forces – but the town hall’s transport boss wouldn’t commit.
At last night’s full council meeting, Cllr Gary Poole, Islington’s Armed Forces champion, asked if servicemen could get free parking when visiting relatives in the borough while on leave.
“This is a real issue,” he said. “Members of the Armed Forces, by nature of their work, are not necessarily rooted in their community and don’t necessarily enjoy navigating bureaucracy when returning to the UK.
“I would at least like the principle of Armed Forces coming to this borough having free parking.”
But Cllr Webbe questioned whether the council could “justify a specific Armed Forces permit”. She added: “I would be happy to meet you to discuss it further. I think we should look at this on a case by case basis and mention it to the parking team so they can at least be mindful.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Poole nodded solemnly at her suggestion.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 7 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 8 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 9 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 10 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus