Council’s £2m grant awards boost for Islington’s communities
- Credit: Archant
More than £2million will be making its way to charities and organisations working with the borough’s most vulnerable residents. Islington Council has agreed the grants for some 40 good causes including Citizens Advice Bureau and Islington Law Centre, Disability Action in Islington, Islington Pensioners Forum, Voluntary Action Islington, All Change Arts and Islington Arts Factory, as well as 12 community hubs.
The funding was agreed by a meeting of the Voluntary and Community Sector Committee on December 12.
Cllr Rakhia Ismail, Islington Council’s executive member for community development, said: “From free legal advice to activities for young people, charities and community organisations play a huge role in making Islington a better place for all our residents.
“We’re pleased to have agreed further funding for more than 40 groups in 2015/16 , despite the ongoing Government cuts to council budgets. This funding will help many local groups continue their vital work.”
Mike Sherriff, chief executive of Voluntary Action Islington said: “At a time when resources are getting less, we welcome this decision, which provides local voluntary organisations with some certainty to plan for the future.”
In total grant awards of £2,295,000 were agreed to 46 charities and organisations.
- 1 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 2 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 3 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 4 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 5 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 6 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 ‘The people of Edmonton will stop this incinerator’ - Protestors promise more action if plan is signed off
- 9 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 10 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run