Cuts protestors to march from Holloway to Islington Green
HUNDREDS of people are set to march across Islington to protest against public sector cuts tomorrow.
Supporters of the Islington Hands Off Our Public Services campaign group will walk from outside the Odeon, in Holloway Road, Holloway, to Islington Green, Islington, to voice their anger at the scale of the coalition Government’s cutbacks.
The protest will take place just days after Islington Council revealed its budget proposals for 2011/2012.
The council has been forced to find a massive �52million in efficiency savings, job losses and cuts to frontline services – to cope with swingeing cuts to grants from central Government.
Former Labour leader Neil Kinnock gave his backing to the demonstration last week, saying: “The speed and scale of the cuts will kill jobs and growth so it won’t even cut back the deficit. It’s all pain and no gain. It is all pain and no gain. Joining the protest is vital.”
You may also want to watch:
The march will set off at 12noon and reach Islington Green some time after 1pm, where speakers will include poet and comedian John Hegley and Jeremy Corbyn, MP for Islington North.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 10 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all