Cuts protestors to march from Holloway to Islington Green
HUNDREDS of people are set to march across Islington to protest against public sector cuts tomorrow.
Supporters of the Islington Hands Off Our Public Services campaign group will walk from outside the Odeon, in Holloway Road, Holloway, to Islington Green, Islington, to voice their anger at the scale of the coalition Government’s cutbacks.
The protest will take place just days after Islington Council revealed its budget proposals for 2011/2012.
The council has been forced to find a massive �52million in efficiency savings, job losses and cuts to frontline services – to cope with swingeing cuts to grants from central Government.
Former Labour leader Neil Kinnock gave his backing to the demonstration last week, saying: “The speed and scale of the cuts will kill jobs and growth so it won’t even cut back the deficit. It’s all pain and no gain. It is all pain and no gain. Joining the protest is vital.”
You may also want to watch:
The march will set off at 12noon and reach Islington Green some time after 1pm, where speakers will include poet and comedian John Hegley and Jeremy Corbyn, MP for Islington North.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 6 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 7 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes