Cuts protestors to march from Holloway to Islington Green
HUNDREDS of people are set to march across Islington to protest against public sector cuts tomorrow.
Supporters of the Islington Hands Off Our Public Services campaign group will walk from outside the Odeon, in Holloway Road, Holloway, to Islington Green, Islington, to voice their anger at the scale of the coalition Government’s cutbacks.
The protest will take place just days after Islington Council revealed its budget proposals for 2011/2012.
The council has been forced to find a massive �52million in efficiency savings, job losses and cuts to frontline services – to cope with swingeing cuts to grants from central Government.
Former Labour leader Neil Kinnock gave his backing to the demonstration last week, saying: “The speed and scale of the cuts will kill jobs and growth so it won’t even cut back the deficit. It’s all pain and no gain. It is all pain and no gain. Joining the protest is vital.”
You may also want to watch:
The march will set off at 12noon and reach Islington Green some time after 1pm, where speakers will include poet and comedian John Hegley and Jeremy Corbyn, MP for Islington North.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 3 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 4 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 5 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
- 8 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 9 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 10 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding