Donald Trump petition: Islington North has second-highest rate of anti-Trump backing in UK
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
One in 16 people in Jeremy Corbyn’s Islington North constituency has backed a petition urging the government not to let US president Donald Trump visit the Queen.
As of 11.45am, 6,727 people – 6.2 per cent of the constituency population – had signed the petition calling for Mr Trump to be prevented from making a UK state visit in the wake of his immigration clampdown.
That proportion put it second in the UK – behind only Brighton Pavilion’s 6.3pc.
Mr Corbyn himself has urged people to sign the petition, which passed the one million mark at about 10am and will be debated in Parliament.
In Emily Thornberry’s Islington South and Finsbury constituency, 5,513 people – 4.9 pc of the population – had signed.
You may also want to watch:
Did you sign the petition? Let us know why: email@example.com
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing