Emily Thornberry backs Sadiq Khan for London Mayor
- Credit: Archant
Former shadow attorney general Emily Thornberry has backed Tooting MP Sadiq Khan’s bid to become the next Mayor of London.
Ms Thornberry, MP for Islington South and Finsbury, has joined Islington Council leader Richard Watts in backing Mr Khan to represent Labour in the battle to replace Boris Johnson next year.
“Sadiq Khan is the candidate with the background, determination, ideas and guts to achieve for everyone in this great city,” said Ms Thornberry.
“He knows what is needed to win – in his own marginal constituency of Tooting, and across the city.
“He led Labour to the best local election results in the capital since 1971 and to seven additional MPs in the general election.
You may also want to watch:
“He also reflects all that is good about modern and diverse London. He’s the son of immigrants who came to the capital to make a better life. He grew up on a council estate and went to university, before building a successful career as a lawyer and running his own firm. He was elected an MP for his local community, becoming a minister and being the first Muslim to attend Cabinet.”
Mr Khan’s main opposition in the race to lead Labour’s bid for City Hall are Dame Tessa Jowell, Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP Diane Abbott and MP for Tottenham David Lammy.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
Islington resident, author and transport expert Christian Wolmar is also among the candidates.
Ms Thornberry said: “Our city faces a housing crisis, it needs more and better jobs, and public transport is overcrowded and expensive.
“Sadiq recognises this needs to change, and has the ideas to deliver this change for London.”