Emily Thornberry backs Sadiq Khan for London Mayor
- Credit: Archant
Former shadow attorney general Emily Thornberry has backed Tooting MP Sadiq Khan’s bid to become the next Mayor of London.
Ms Thornberry, MP for Islington South and Finsbury, has joined Islington Council leader Richard Watts in backing Mr Khan to represent Labour in the battle to replace Boris Johnson next year.
“Sadiq Khan is the candidate with the background, determination, ideas and guts to achieve for everyone in this great city,” said Ms Thornberry.
“He knows what is needed to win – in his own marginal constituency of Tooting, and across the city.
“He led Labour to the best local election results in the capital since 1971 and to seven additional MPs in the general election.
You may also want to watch:
“He also reflects all that is good about modern and diverse London. He’s the son of immigrants who came to the capital to make a better life. He grew up on a council estate and went to university, before building a successful career as a lawyer and running his own firm. He was elected an MP for his local community, becoming a minister and being the first Muslim to attend Cabinet.”
Mr Khan’s main opposition in the race to lead Labour’s bid for City Hall are Dame Tessa Jowell, Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP Diane Abbott and MP for Tottenham David Lammy.
- 1 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 2 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 6 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 10 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
Islington resident, author and transport expert Christian Wolmar is also among the candidates.
Ms Thornberry said: “Our city faces a housing crisis, it needs more and better jobs, and public transport is overcrowded and expensive.
“Sadiq recognises this needs to change, and has the ideas to deliver this change for London.”