Emily Thornberry on Jeremy Corbyn fallout: ‘You do your best and get all this nonsense’
- Credit: PA WIRE
Islington South and Finsbury MP Emily Thornberry this morning criticised the MPs revolting against Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.
It came hours after Mr Corbyn, the Islington North MP, appointed Mrs Thornberry as shadow foreign secretary.
She replaces Hilary Benn, who was sacked yesterday after questioning his leadership following the Brexit vote. This prompted 11 further resignations from the shadow cabinet.
Appearing on Victoria Derbyshire, Mrs Thornberry said: “At a time of economic turmoil, when I think the Tories led us into a dark wood, it’s the job of the opposition to step up. We need to be careful for the sake of the country.
“Jeremy Corbyn will be leader of the party until he decides so. Less than a year ago, he was elected with a 60 per cent endorsement. The vast majority of members want him to remain as leader.
You may also want to watch:
“He has a different style, a different approach. You do your best and you get all this nonsense. We are talking about looking after the interests of the nation and this (revolt) is not on.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
- 8 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 9 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green