Emily Thornberry on Jeremy Corbyn fallout: ‘You do your best and get all this nonsense’
- Credit: PA WIRE
Islington South and Finsbury MP Emily Thornberry this morning criticised the MPs revolting against Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.
It came hours after Mr Corbyn, the Islington North MP, appointed Mrs Thornberry as shadow foreign secretary.
She replaces Hilary Benn, who was sacked yesterday after questioning his leadership following the Brexit vote. This prompted 11 further resignations from the shadow cabinet.
Appearing on Victoria Derbyshire, Mrs Thornberry said: “At a time of economic turmoil, when I think the Tories led us into a dark wood, it’s the job of the opposition to step up. We need to be careful for the sake of the country.
“Jeremy Corbyn will be leader of the party until he decides so. Less than a year ago, he was elected with a 60 per cent endorsement. The vast majority of members want him to remain as leader.
You may also want to watch:
“He has a different style, a different approach. You do your best and you get all this nonsense. We are talking about looking after the interests of the nation and this (revolt) is not on.”
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 3 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 4 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 5 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 10 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat