General Election 2015: Labour retain Islington South and Finsbury
- Credit: Archant
Labour’s Emily Thornberry has been re-elected as the MP for Islington South and Finsbury.
The former Shadow Attorney General took home 22,547 votes – 12,708 more than her nearest rival, the Conservative’s Mark Lim with 9,839.
It compares to a majority of 3569 over the Lib Dems in the 2010 general election.
Ms Thornberry, who was shaking with emotion when she gave her speech, said: “People are suffering. There are over a million people dependent on food banks in order to be able to feed their children.
“As far as Islington is concerned we reject entirely the politics of division, we will not have it.
You may also want to watch:
“We stand united as a community and we will not let anyone divide us.”
Ms Thornberry, who stepped down as Shadow Attorney General following a backlash against a tweet she posted during the Rochester and Strood by election in November last year, also paid tribute to her husband after what she said had been a tough few months.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
“He had no idea that we would have to put up with the nonsense and abuse we’ve recieved over the last few months and the way in which our privacy has been intruded on,” she said.
Addressing the prospect of another Tory led government, she said: “We’re very concerned about it. Very concerned about what it might mean for Islington if we get another Tory government.
“I think a lot of people who would have voted Conservative last time voted tactically for the Lib Dems and now they’re going back to the Conservatives.
Here are the results in full:
Jay Kirton (Cannabis is Safer than Alcohol) : 309
Charlie Kiss (Green) : 3371 Mark Lim (Conservative): 9839
Pete Muswell (UKIP): 3375
Terry Stacy (Lib Dem): 4829
Emily Thornbery (Labour): 22547