General Election 2015: Labour retain Islington South and Finsbury
- Credit: Archant
Labour’s Emily Thornberry has been re-elected as the MP for Islington South and Finsbury.
The former Shadow Attorney General took home 22,547 votes – 12,708 more than her nearest rival, the Conservative’s Mark Lim with 9,839.
It compares to a majority of 3569 over the Lib Dems in the 2010 general election.
Ms Thornberry, who was shaking with emotion when she gave her speech, said: “People are suffering. There are over a million people dependent on food banks in order to be able to feed their children.
“As far as Islington is concerned we reject entirely the politics of division, we will not have it.
“We stand united as a community and we will not let anyone divide us.”
Ms Thornberry, who stepped down as Shadow Attorney General following a backlash against a tweet she posted during the Rochester and Strood by election in November last year, also paid tribute to her husband after what she said had been a tough few months.
- 1 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 2 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 3 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 4 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 5 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 6 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 7 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 8 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 9 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
“He had no idea that we would have to put up with the nonsense and abuse we’ve recieved over the last few months and the way in which our privacy has been intruded on,” she said.
Addressing the prospect of another Tory led government, she said: “We’re very concerned about it. Very concerned about what it might mean for Islington if we get another Tory government.
“I think a lot of people who would have voted Conservative last time voted tactically for the Lib Dems and now they’re going back to the Conservatives.
Here are the results in full:
Jay Kirton (Cannabis is Safer than Alcohol) : 309
Charlie Kiss (Green) : 3371 Mark Lim (Conservative): 9839
Pete Muswell (UKIP): 3375
Terry Stacy (Lib Dem): 4829
Emily Thornbery (Labour): 22547