General Election 2017: Islington results
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Jeremy Corbyn secured more votes than anyone in history to retain his Islington North seat today.
In what was the highest turnout (73.3 per cent) since 1951, the Labour leader won 40,086 votes – a majority of 33,215.
It was a huge improvement on his 21,194 majority in 2015, and reflects his party’s success nationally.
In a hugely pro-EU constituency (78 per cent voted to “remain” last year), Lib Dem Keith Angus will be disappointed to have finished third behind Tory James Clark after fighting on an anti-Brexit platform.
Meanwhile, in Islington South and Finsbury, Emily Thornberry won 30,188 votes with a majority of 20,263. Second-placed Conservative Jason Charalambous (9,925) was well ahead of Lib Dem Alain Desmier on 5,809.
You may also want to watch:
Islington North (turnout 73.3 per cent)
Jeremy Corbyn (Labour): 40,086
- 1 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 2 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 3 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 4 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 5 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 6 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 7 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 8 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 9 St George's Day, Partners Islington, LTNs and Local Plan policy
- 10 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
James Clark (Conservative): 6,871
Keith Angus (Liberal Democrat): 4,946
Carloline Russell (Green): 2,229
Keith Fraser (Ukip): 413
Michael Foster (Independent): 208
Knigel Knapp (Monster Raving Loony): 106
Susanne Cameron-Blackie (Independent): 41
Bill Martyn (Socialist): 21
Andres Mendoza (Communist League): 7
Islington South and Finsbury (turnout 69 per cent)
Emily Thornberry (Labour): 30,188
Jason Charalambous (Conservative): 9,925
Alain Desmier (Liberal Democrat): 5,809
Benali Hamdache (Green): 1,198
Pete Muswell (Ukip): 929