General Election 2017: Islington results
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Jeremy Corbyn secured more votes than anyone in history to retain his Islington North seat today.
In what was the highest turnout (73.3 per cent) since 1951, the Labour leader won 40,086 votes – a majority of 33,215.
It was a huge improvement on his 21,194 majority in 2015, and reflects his party’s success nationally.
In a hugely pro-EU constituency (78 per cent voted to “remain” last year), Lib Dem Keith Angus will be disappointed to have finished third behind Tory James Clark after fighting on an anti-Brexit platform.
Meanwhile, in Islington South and Finsbury, Emily Thornberry won 30,188 votes with a majority of 20,263. Second-placed Conservative Jason Charalambous (9,925) was well ahead of Lib Dem Alain Desmier on 5,809.
Islington North (turnout 73.3 per cent)
Jeremy Corbyn (Labour): 40,086
- 1 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 2 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 3 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 4 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 5 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 6 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 8 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 9 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 10 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
James Clark (Conservative): 6,871
Keith Angus (Liberal Democrat): 4,946
Carloline Russell (Green): 2,229
Keith Fraser (Ukip): 413
Michael Foster (Independent): 208
Knigel Knapp (Monster Raving Loony): 106
Susanne Cameron-Blackie (Independent): 41
Bill Martyn (Socialist): 21
Andres Mendoza (Communist League): 7
Islington South and Finsbury (turnout 69 per cent)
Emily Thornberry (Labour): 30,188
Jason Charalambous (Conservative): 9,925
Alain Desmier (Liberal Democrat): 5,809
Benali Hamdache (Green): 1,198
Pete Muswell (Ukip): 929