General Election 2017: Jeremy Corbyn’s Islington North seat attracts record number of candidates
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A record 10 candidates are standing for the Islington North seat in next month’s general election.
The final list of nominations, published by Islington Council this afternoon, shows nine hopefuls are opposing Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn for the seat he has held for 34 years – and won a 21,194 majority in 2015.
It includes entries from Labour donor Michael Foster, who is standing in protest to Mr Corbyn’s leadership, and Andres Mendoza of the Communist League.
The previous highest number of entrants in Islington North is six: in 2015, 2001, 1983 and 1979. The constituency was created in 1885.
Of the 2017 list, only three – Mr Corbyn, Caroline Russell (Green) and Bill Martin (Socialist) – actually live in the Islington North constituency. Independent Susanne Cameron-Blackie, who is standing on an NHS platform, lives the furthest away, in Norfolk.
The full list of candidates is as follows: Keith Angus (Lib Dem), Susanne Cameron-Blackie (Independent), James Clark (Conservative), Jeremy Corbyn (Labour), Michael Foster (Independent), Keith Fraser (Ukip), Knigel Knapp (Monster Raving Loony), Bill Martin (Socialist), Andres Mendoza (Communist League) and Caroline Russell (Green).
Meanwhile, there are five candidates standing for Islington South and Finsbury. They are Jason Charalambous (Conservative), Alain Desmier (Lib Dem), Benali Hamdache (Green), Pete Muswell (Ukip) and Emily Thornberry (Labour).
- 1 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 2 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 3 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 4 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 5 Covid patients in north London hospitals with Plan B rules set to lift
- 6 Emma Thompson and Sir Ian McKellen line up to play Whodunnit detectives
- 7 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
- 8 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 9 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 10 Would you feed your dog a plant-based diet?
Incumbent Mrs Thornberry was MP for 12 years, and won a majority of 12,708 in 2015. Of the five candidates, only she and Mr Muswell live in the constituency.
On May 21, the Gazette is holding a hustings for Islington South and Finsbury. It takes place at 7.30pm at St Mary’s Church in Upper Street. All five candidates have confirmed attendance.