General Election 2017: Jeremy Corbyn’s Islington North seat attracts record number of candidates
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A record 10 candidates are standing for the Islington North seat in next month’s general election.
The final list of nominations, published by Islington Council this afternoon, shows nine hopefuls are opposing Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn for the seat he has held for 34 years – and won a 21,194 majority in 2015.
It includes entries from Labour donor Michael Foster, who is standing in protest to Mr Corbyn’s leadership, and Andres Mendoza of the Communist League.
The previous highest number of entrants in Islington North is six: in 2015, 2001, 1983 and 1979. The constituency was created in 1885.
Of the 2017 list, only three – Mr Corbyn, Caroline Russell (Green) and Bill Martin (Socialist) – actually live in the Islington North constituency. Independent Susanne Cameron-Blackie, who is standing on an NHS platform, lives the furthest away, in Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
The full list of candidates is as follows: Keith Angus (Lib Dem), Susanne Cameron-Blackie (Independent), James Clark (Conservative), Jeremy Corbyn (Labour), Michael Foster (Independent), Keith Fraser (Ukip), Knigel Knapp (Monster Raving Loony), Bill Martin (Socialist), Andres Mendoza (Communist League) and Caroline Russell (Green).
Meanwhile, there are five candidates standing for Islington South and Finsbury. They are Jason Charalambous (Conservative), Alain Desmier (Lib Dem), Benali Hamdache (Green), Pete Muswell (Ukip) and Emily Thornberry (Labour).
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
Incumbent Mrs Thornberry was MP for 12 years, and won a majority of 12,708 in 2015. Of the five candidates, only she and Mr Muswell live in the constituency.
On May 21, the Gazette is holding a hustings for Islington South and Finsbury. It takes place at 7.30pm at St Mary’s Church in Upper Street. All five candidates have confirmed attendance.