Parkland Walk bridge approved despite tree-felling anger
- Credit: Rachel Kiki
Plans for a new footbridge on the Parkland Walk have been approved despite a “unique level” of opposition.
Nearly 200 objections were lodged against the proposals to construct a footbridge at the Stanhope Road entrance with a ramp and stepped access.
Concerns centred on the loss of trees involved in the works, such as a large oak covered in Russian vine, and – as critics argued – a lack of alternative options being pursued.
Planning officer Laurence Ackrill said the changes will make the Parkland Walk – which runs between Finsbury Park and Muswell Hill – more inclusive and accessible for vulnerable groups.
He said the loss of biodiversity will be mitigated by 10 trees being planted off-site on Stanhope Road and Avenue Road.
However Cathy Meeus, chair of the Friends of the Parkland Walk, said the plans fail to strike the balance between access and the preservation of green space.
Opposition leader Cllr Luke Cawley-Harrison (Lib Dem, Crouch End) said there had been “little exploration” of alternative schemes.
He called “the level of objection and consternation” at the removal of trees “unique”.
- 1 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 2 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 3 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 4 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 5 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 6 Incinerator protest group WhatsApp infiltrated by waste authority member
- 7 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 8 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 Deadline extended for Islington's greener futures fund
The plans were approved at Haringey Council’s planning sub-committee on December 6 by six votes to two.