Holloway shopping centre bosses unsurprised at Jeremy Corbyn ‘suitgate’ plug
- Credit: Archant
Holloway Road’s town centre management group was unsurprised after Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn today said it was the “greatest shopping centre in the world”.
He was lambasted by David Cameron for his appearance at Prime Minister’s Questions yesterday, but Mr Corbyn has used the Prime Minister’s cheap dig to big up the retail choice at the heart of his Islington North constituency.
Mr Cameron had been heckled by Labour MPs over what his mother, a critic of Conservative cuts to local councils, would think about problems in the health service.
He responded by turning his fire to Mr Corbyn: “Ask my mother? I think I know what my mother would say. I think she would look across the despatch box and she would say: ‘Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem.’”
But speaking to ITV News today after launching the national Labour police and crime commissioner elections campaign in Birmingham, Mr Corbyn managed to see the funny side - and gave a shoutout to Holloway Road.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s actually jealous of the jacket,” Mr Corbyn said. “You know what he’s really jealous of? That I can go shopping in the greatest shopping centre in the world, Holloway Road, N7.
“And he’s stuck with Bond Street.”
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 9 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 10 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
Phillip Watson, vice-chairman of the Nag’s Head town centre management group, told the Gazette this afternoon: “Jeremy Corbyn’s a local resident [Finsbury Park] and we can completely understand why he’s happy to do his shopping in Holloway Road, and the Nag’s Head shopping centre - you can get everything you need here.
“We are very proud of what we have to offer.”