Holloway tattoo artist first to be banned in Islington
A tattoo artist has become the first to be banned from working in Islington – amid allegations he has “done a runner”.
Edigijus Grigalius was stripped of his licence in an unprecedented step by councillors last week, after inspectors found his tools weren’t properly sterilised.
The committee was told the 43-year-old had already packed up his equipment and disappeared from his unit in the Nag’s Head Market, Holloway, where he ran Art Speed Tattoo Studio.
That happened after he was ordered to pay a �1,500 fine and �500 costs at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court in April, with the judge saying he was “putting people in danger” as he didn’t sterilise equipment within three hours before use. He admitted 18 breaches of his licence.
An Islington Council licensing officer said: “Once he had been to court and prosecuted, he took all the equipment and left the market. He’s effectively done a runner from the unit.”
You may also want to watch:
The officer also said he understood some bills may remain outstanding, but Nag’s Head Market’s management declined to comment on the case.
Cllr Tracy Ismail, who sat on the licensing committee, said: “If you’re going to get a tattoo, you need to know you’re going somewhere that’s clean and you’re not going to catch anything.”
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
The council will write to Islington’s six other parlours to warn them not to employ Mr Grigalius.